cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overcurrent threshold of VND drivers

Posted on July 03, 2017 at 13:00

I am documenting short-circuit behavior of the VND5T050AK.  I remember seeing a threshold around 36-44 A as the trip point to put this chip in the overload state.  However I can't find any spec in the data sheet and can't remember where I saw it.  Does anyone remember where this is documented?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
F G
Associate II
Posted on July 04, 2017 at 12:49

Hi, the condition you mentioned is cleared in fig. 12 of the relevant Datasheet.

The OVL condition is triggered by either Thermal Shutdown or Power Limitation.

In this condition the device is latched off and the Current Sense (CS) Pin becomes high (VsenseH value).

Fro this device, the current limitation (IlimH) is a value between 24A and 46A (typ. 34A).

In Short Condition, the current is internally clamped @ IlimH.

Once the temperature gap between the hot and the cold sensors reaches ~60°C, the Power Limitation is activated

The TSD is a value in the range 150°C and 200°C.

To unlatch the OVL condition the Fault_Reset Pin needs to be set low and the Junction Temp must be lower than OVL_reset.

Available for any further clarification

Regards

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
F G
Associate II
Posted on July 04, 2017 at 12:49

Hi, the condition you mentioned is cleared in fig. 12 of the relevant Datasheet.

The OVL condition is triggered by either Thermal Shutdown or Power Limitation.

In this condition the device is latched off and the Current Sense (CS) Pin becomes high (VsenseH value).

Fro this device, the current limitation (IlimH) is a value between 24A and 46A (typ. 34A).

In Short Condition, the current is internally clamped @ IlimH.

Once the temperature gap between the hot and the cold sensors reaches ~60°C, the Power Limitation is activated

The TSD is a value in the range 150°C and 200°C.

To unlatch the OVL condition the Fault_Reset Pin needs to be set low and the Junction Temp must be lower than OVL_reset.

Available for any further clarification

Regards

Posted on July 04, 2017 at 14:11

Thank you, thank you!

I went over that data sheet several times, and somehow could not find this entry again.