Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST-Link V2 Debugger- USB Communication issues after hours of use

mmilutinovic
Associate II
Posted on October 19, 2015 at 19:02

Hello,

I am using the ST-Link V2 debugger to run on target unit tests. I have updated my windows drivers to the latest and the firmware on the debugger has been updated to the latest as well.

Tests are compiled via IAR (v7.2) and then run on device via IAR command line tools using ST-Link as the debugger. This process is repeated over 8+ hours as there are a lot of tests and they need to be compiled and run in batches.

I have no issues for a couple of hours but eventually the debugger stops being responsive. When it gets in this state I tried communicating with it via ST-Link Utility but I get a USB communication error message.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues? Any ideas to try and get this to work consistently?

Thanks,

Marko

#st-link #- #swd

Note: this post was migrated and contained many threaded conversations, some content may be missing.
10 REPLIES 10
Posted on October 19, 2015 at 19:14

Well it's not the most commercial/industrial implementation out there. Do you see similar problems with commercial JTAG/SWD tools?

Make sure it's not something like the power/shutdown settings on the computer. Check screen savers, and that the system is set to ''Always On'', and doesn't shutdown/suspend the hard drives, etc.

Have you observed it fail, or just come back to it later? Any commonality about the point at which it fails? A specific test? A specific period of time? What do the logs reveal?

Are you testing low power modes? Does your JTAG/SWD connection have an NRESET pin connected to the device under test?

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on July 03, 2017 at 11:57

Hi 

i am also facing same issue..

i flashed the code STM32Cube_FW_L0_V1.9.0\Projects\STM32L073RZ-Nucleo\Examples\PWR\PWR_SLEEP\MDK-ARM

i am having STM32L072CZY6 discovery board...

if i long press RESET button , st link is detecting but not able to Flash or debug

Thank you

Posted on July 03, 2017 at 12:21

I hope you noticed the original post is almost two years old ...

ST-Links are sold by the 1000's/10.000's - at least. Assume an issue with your code on your target first.

And Segger provides a J-Link firmware for ST-Link hardware, if you really want to try.

Posted on July 04, 2017 at 12:34

Hi 

Thank you for your reply..

Anyway i solved the issue...

Deny Semenov
Associate
Posted on October 29, 2017 at 11:08

Good afternoon! After Win10 installation, ST-Link in the system is usually detected, but any Soft sees only the first instant after connection. Installed back Win 7 on which nebylo problems, or something has not changed ((( I tried to install the driver and soft on bare OS without the basic drivers, it did not work either, ST-Link Softs only shows the first instant, and then USB CONNECT ERROR. ST-Link itself in the system

Posted on November 27, 2017 at 18:25

Could you tell us what was the issue in your case Prasanth? I am struggling with the same problem.

Posted on November 27, 2017 at 20:58

Using a DELL?

Whole bunch of things that can break connectivity. Make sure you have current drivers and firmware, and that you don't have any filter drivers muddling with the USB/USBSTOR stack. Check ALL power options, make sure things are Always On, and Never turn off.

Be specific about your system and version of Windows, Tool chains, etc, vague 'Me Too' type failures are really hard to debug with ZERO context.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
T J
Lead
Posted on November 28, 2017 at 00:43

check that data and instruction cache are disabled,  for single stepping..

Posted on November 29, 2017 at 12:15

Hi Clive, I didn't ask for your help with my issue hence ZERO context. Read carefully before you jump out from nowhere and start  'helping' people.

I asked Prasanth out of curiosity but thank you for your interest.