Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot get STM32F429 Discovery board to enter DFU mode

alan2
Associate II
Posted on September 26, 2014 at 09:56

Hi

I have been for a many frustrating hours to get the STM32F429 discovery board  to enter DFU mode.  I know the micro USB port works as i've had a flash drive connected to it for the demo app but when i've followed the instructions to enter DFU mode (BOOT0 = 1 and BOOT1 =0) the PC doesn't detect that a USB device has been connected.

has any one got this working ? if so could you tell me

thanks

Alan

#stm32f429discovery #dfu
5 REPLIES 5
Uwe Bonnes
Principal II
Posted on September 26, 2014 at 11:54

http://embdev.net/articles/STM_Discovery_as_Black_Magic_Probe

has an explabation why it can not work .

alan2
Associate II
Posted on September 26, 2014 at 13:18

Thankyou for the info. great to have a solution

clincoln
Associate
Posted on September 26, 2014 at 18:39

What are the odds that the very day I created a MyST account just to ask that exact question, you would post it for me?

I just did a quick little hack on my Discovery board, basically by grounding PB5, and had no effect. (At least as far as cable detect for DFU mode in the bootloader is concerned).

The basis of my query has a slightly different bend to it, so I'll start another thread instead of hijacking yours.

clincoln
Associate
Posted on September 26, 2014 at 19:13

From AN2606 in the F429 section:

''The system clock is derived from the embedded internal high-speed RC for USARTx and I2Cx bootloaders. This internal clock is also used for CAN and DFU (USB FS Device) but only for the selection phase. An external clock multiple of 1 MHz (between 4 and 26 MHz) is required for CAN and DFU bootloader execution after the selection phase.''

My design does not have an external clock source, so I can stop playing this game for now. I was getting  ''USB device detected'' on my PC when connecting the cable, but the VID/PID were all 0000/0000. Due to the lack of clock, I suppose?

Sorry, I said I wouldn't hijack your thread, but I did anyway...
alan2
Associate II
Posted on September 29, 2014 at 10:29

Hi Chris

No prob about asking on this thread. We are all trying to find a solution.

I have a question for you.

Did you manage to get the DFU working on the 429 discovery board ?

I tried as you did connecting PB5 to ground ONLY when is bootloader discovery mode and all the USART Rx pins too ! but couldn't get any reponse from the discovery board.   You wrote that the USB DFU needs an external osc for operation.  The default osc for the discovery board is 8MHz from the ST LINK addition i think as written in doc user manual for discovery kit for STM32F429/329 lines ( UM1670)  page17 section 4.11.1.

if this is here then i presume the DFU should be able to operate but i still can't get it to show anything even a VID/PID  0x0000

thanks for any help you can give

Alan