cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft to get SharePoint mobile

Posted on May 05, 2016 at 04:40

Anyone familiar with this forum knows how truely awful SharePoint is, and how badly broken Microsoft's support/vision of mobile is. Personally I'm confused why one would need an ''app'' to properly view and interact with a WEB BASED PORTAL, but I'm a bit jaded.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/4/11589682/microsoft-sharepoint-2016-mobile-apps

Also a discussion over a Slashdot about it.

https://news.slashdot.org/story/16/05/04/2216220/microsoft-overhauls-sharepoint-to-compete-with-slack-in-the-mobile-era

#honor-to-whom-honor-is-due #worst-forum-software-ever
Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Posted on May 05, 2016 at 23:24

Yeah, but doesn't Microsoft sell it as being a corporate intranet portal too? Perhaps having it as a public facing forum is beyond it's original scope, but this interface is truly horrid. And surely documents/changes can be uniquely identified with something a tad shorter than a 1000 character URL?

Word penetration into Android and Apple tablets has also been weak and late.
Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Lead
Posted on May 05, 2016 at 21:06

> Anyone familiar with this forum knows how truely awful SharePoint is, and how badly broken Microsoft's support/vision of mobile is.

Beg to disagree on a minor point here.

Albeit I'm no fan of Micro-software (using solely Linux at home), I know several companies, including my current one, which use M$ Sharepoint for document management and versioning. Not much software around that can keep versions of Word documents without storing every element as binary blob.

IMHO one needs to blame ST for the idea to use (or better, mis-use) Sharepoint as forum software.

And in this sense I need to agree - it is most probably the worst forum software.

Posted on May 05, 2016 at 23:24

Yeah, but doesn't Microsoft sell it as being a corporate intranet portal too? Perhaps having it as a public facing forum is beyond it's original scope, but this interface is truly horrid. And surely documents/changes can be uniquely identified with something a tad shorter than a 1000 character URL?

Word penetration into Android and Apple tablets has also been weak and late.
Lead
Posted on May 06, 2016 at 17:17

> Yeah, but doesn't Microsoft sell it as being a corporate intranet portal too?

I might say, fortunately I did not end up yet in a company doing that.

> And surely documents/changes can be uniquely identified with something a tad shorter than a 1000 character URL?

For sure.

Generally I don't view the capability to parse/version Word documents as great achievement. IMHO this format is just FUBAR.

> Word penetration into Android and Apple tablets has also be weak and late.

Personally, I view the failure of M$ in the mobile market as beneficial for the world ...

Jeroen3
Senior
Posted on December 07, 2016 at 08:47

If only Microsoft would've released this a few years earlier. It will still take several years for companies to migrate. If ever.

One of the great things about sharepoint is that you can customize it to be completely crippled.

I know places where you still need Internet Explorer 7 to use sharepoint. Great times.

Posted on December 07, 2016 at 08:08

>>Personally, I view the failure of M$ in the mobile market as beneficial for the world ...

I worry now they may focus on self driving car software.

Posted on December 07, 2016 at 09:53

The migration has been happening for a few years, people at the C-Level within organizations see how things can be on Apple and Android devices, and start asking their IT guys awkward questions about why this Microsoft stuff is so huge, clunky and works like crap. The IT guys used to respond that they couldn't do things a different way, now they are being told to adapt. I think Microsoft missed the signs a decade ago.