Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F417IG board not enumerating as com port

santosh239955
Associate II
Posted on October 28, 2014 at 09:39

Hi,

I built a .bin file configured to make the chip run as VCP. I flashed the .bin using busblaster successfully.

I get the following message after flashing via openocd

wrote 26284 bytes from file STM32DiscoveryVCP-master/STM32_Build/Debug/bin/build.bin to flash bank 0 at offset 0x00000000 in 0.537990s (47.711 KiB/s)

But, when I connect the board to USB and check for devices in Device Manager. It does not show up as com port. It is enumerating as STMicroelectronics STM32 BOOTLOADER [2200].

Even though I toggle the switch between bootloader and flash. It is only recognizing bootloader. I tried setting BOOT 0 to high but still no difference.

Please suggest any solution.

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Posted on October 28, 2014 at 15:43

BOOT0 High would put you in the System Loader, perhaps you should check the pin states at reset to be sure what's going on.

Not familiar with the board you're using.
Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
santosh239955
Associate II
Posted on October 28, 2014 at 21:16

Clive,

I am using this board - http://blog.stm32f4.eu/stm32f4-boards/core-407i-board/ with 417.

I even set the BOOT0 to low during and after programming but there seems to be no change in device manager.

Is there anyway to make the com port to be detected?

thanks

Posted on October 28, 2014 at 21:37

Is there anyway to make the com port to be detected?

There's no magic involved here, there has to be valid code in flash, and that has to configure the USB port correctly, with the expected descriptors, clocks, etc.

http://www.wvshare.com/product/Core407I.htm

The BOOTx pins control which memory is used, if FLASH is invalid it's going to crash the processor, not fall through to the System Loader.

You'd want to make sure your FLASH code goes in at 0x08000000, and perhaps practice with some other code that blinks LEDs, or outputs via a USART or something.

santosh239955
Associate II
Posted on October 28, 2014 at 22:41

Okay. I have flashed the example vcp code at 0x08000000.

It is only recognizing the device in DFU mode.

Posted on October 29, 2014 at 03:25

The VCP example doesn't include any DFU code, so it sounds like it's still going into the System Loader ROM.

Did you solder the 417 on the board? Can you confirm it's properly soldered down?
santosh239955
Associate II
Posted on October 29, 2014 at 07:29

Yes its soldered down correctly.

It executed successfuly previously. But, when I flashed using busblaster using flash write_bank 0 filename 0 it stopped enumerating.

Posted on October 29, 2014 at 15:20

I'm not aware of any multi-bank booting options on the STM32F417. Probably want to hook it up with the ST-LINK Utilities and see if any odd Options Bytes have been configured. Could also perhaps try the Flash Loader Demonstrator via the serial port.