cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32 digital input frequency

marcogrossi89
Associate II
Posted on September 18, 2017 at 17:58

Hello, my problem is I need to acquire a waveform at high frequency (sampling frequency in the order 35 to 50 MHz carried out by fast external ADC). I would like to use an high performance STM32 microcontroller (such as F3 or F4) to acquire 8 bit digital inputs (ADC output) and transfer them to memory by DMA however I do not know what is the maximum frequency for the operation'DMA read input port and transfer to memory'.

Anyone can help?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Posted on September 18, 2017 at 18:11

The DCMI port is supposedly capable of 54 MHz operations, but you'll be hard pressed to consume/process data at such rates. How deep of a sample buffer are you looking at?

FIFOs can also be used from high rate capture

http://www.averlogic.com/AL422B.asp

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
marcogrossi89
Associate II
Posted on September 18, 2017 at 18:22

The analog signal is 6.78 MHz and is sampled by an external pipelined fast ADC (50 Msps). What I need is to acquire the ADC 8 bits digital outputs with a STM32 input port and transfer the byte to memory. If I use a 48Mhz clock for ADC then I can acquire about 7 samples per period. I think a buffer of 70 bytes (10 periods) should be enough.

Naturally sampling with higher frequency would provide more samples per period but I have no idea how to do it.

Posted on September 18, 2017 at 18:51

At 48 MHz you need to be looking at the DCMI peripheral and how to utilize that.

If you use the FIFO device, you could access that via the FSMC/FMC

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..