Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32 boot program

nps
Associate II
Posted on June 16, 2015 at 09:53

Hi all,

We had procured some sample STM32F105VCT6 ICs and were able to program the device through the serial port (USART1). Later we procured some from a local vendor. These are not getting programmed. On searching the net for possible causes, I came across ''internal code'' or ''blank''. What is this internal code? Do all STM32F103/105s have boot loaders? or do we have to explicitly order parts having boot code? Thank you for your time.

Regards

Partha
7 REPLIES 7
Posted on June 16, 2015 at 15:15

Pretty sure they all should come with the System ''ROM'' programmed with the System Loader code.

If it's not starting properly look at the state of both BOOTx pins at reset.

If you suspect the System ROM is empty why not look at the memory address it should be located at, and dump that out.

Look at errata, and then the date/step codes printed on the device.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Hamid.Wasti
Associate II
Posted on June 16, 2015 at 16:59

In addition to everything that Clive said.....

Is the ''local vendor'' an authorized distributor? If not, then you have to worry about the following:

Did you get counterfeit parts?

Did you get factory reject parts that were rejected before the ROM was programmed or because the ROM was not programmed?

Did you get parts that were custom manufactured for a customer with some special non-standard code in the ROM?

None of this applies if you purchased from an authorized ST distributor.

pmoore
Associate II
Posted on June 16, 2015 at 19:21

In addition to what's been said by others, I had an experience with the STM32F303 when it first came out, where the parts from the first several weeks of production did not seem to have a functional boot loader, inclusive of the parts on the original production of Discovery boards.  Parts with later date codes worked as documented in the boot loader application notes.  Be sure you are getting ''young'' parts that are no more than a year old.  (Distributors will normally tell you what date code(s) they have in stock.) 

-Patrick

Posted on June 16, 2015 at 19:43

I have Engineering Samples where the ''ROM'' isn't programmed.

Pulling out whatever is in there is a trivial exercise, and would be a first step at demonstrating what you actually have in your hands, and whether it's the die/firmware you expect, or something else.
Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
nps
Associate II
Posted on June 17, 2015 at 04:02

Hi clive1

Thank you very much for the reply. Yes the boot pins are correct and everything seems to be right. If one sees the part number there is a mention of ''internal code''. I am not sure if this refers to boot code or a user supplied code where the device is programmed at factory (may be for large volumes). Unfortunately I do not have JTAG port for seeing the memory content. Will update my findings later.

As for not devices not having boot code in rom, I guess these may be very first lot samples. Am I right sir? Also stm32f10X series has been there for some time around so I believe all devices come fully tested.

nps
Associate II
Posted on June 17, 2015 at 04:06

Hi hwasti,

Yes this is a big question. We procured these from a local vendor who is not an authorized ST distributor. However whatever we keep procuring from them (other parts) we never had an issue. We are checking this aspect now. But they look original though (printing on the devie, packing etc). Thank you.

nps
Associate II
Posted on June 17, 2015 at 04:18

Hi patrick,

The parts are procured recently so matured and not young. Thanks.