cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble reading STMPE1600_ID on STM324x9I-EVAL

hbarta2
Associate III
Posted on January 14, 2015 at 23:20

I'm working with this board and the camera and a now modified derivative of the \STM32Cube_FW_F4_V1.3.0\Projects\STM324x9I_EVAL\Examples\DCMI\DCMI_CaptureMode project. When BSP_CAMERA_Init() callsBSP_IO_Init(), that procedure tries to read an ID using:

if(stmpe1600_io_drv.ReadID(IO_I2C_ADDRESS) == STMPE1600_ID)
{
/* Initialize the IO driver structure */
io_driver = &stmpe1600_io_drv;
ret = IO_OK;
}

(Instm324x9i_eval_io.c) Occasionally it gets status that causes it to not initialize

io_driver

which results in Usage Fault trying to dereference a null pointer. When this happens, the only way to keep it from happening again is to power cycle the board. The reset button and resetting via the debugger (STLINK) will not fix this.

Is this something that could be the result of a coding error or is there something flaky with the H/W? I'm dealingwithother issues in the S/W and I'mwonderingif this is a result of one of those problems or just something unrelated. Thanks! #stm324x9i-eval-camera-stmpe
5 REPLIES 5
Posted on January 15, 2015 at 14:49

Hi,

What's the revision of you STM324x9I_EVAL board ?

Have you applied some modifications on the provided FW ?

Regards,

Heisenberg.

hbarta2
Associate III
Posted on January 15, 2015 at 15:35

Silkscreen on the board says MB 1045 Rev. B. On the reverse side there is a sticker that lists ''MB 1045 B-03'' where the '3' is hand written and on the next line is printed  ''214340075''.

I have tried hard not to modify anything outside the project directory. (I should make all files outside the project directory read only before I start. Hindsight, 20:20 ...) I have not had any reason to modify the camera or I2C drivers so I'm pretty sure they are unmolested.

I also find that after calling BSP_CAMERA_Stop(), subsequent calls to  BSP_CAMERA_ContinuousStart() do not get the camera rolling. I have not looked into that much as we will use a different camera for our prototype. I am presently developing on the STM324x9I-EVAL while I wait for production prototypes.

My first attempt at a work around is to call BSP_CAMERA_Init() after  BSP_CAMERA_Stop() (but there are other APIs for pause and resume that I can try.)

Thanks!

Posted on January 22, 2015 at 15:08

Hi Hank,

After discussion with development team, it turned out that there is no known limitations on this application with MB1045  STM324x9I-EVAL board. We can't really reproduce this issue.

Please consider if your Camera module is plugged in the right way...

Can you provide generated binary file of your project so we can use it with our HW platform ?

Regards,

Heisenberg.

hbarta2
Associate III
Posted on January 23, 2015 at 13:35

Thank you for looking into that. What is the best way to submit a binary file?

Additional info:

I find that the camera init function can take up to 10 seconds or so. I can't say that I'm really sure what's going on - whether it is retrying some I2C communication or hitting an exception that causes it to restart the application.

Thanks!

Edit: I have removed and reinstalled the camera board hoping to improve a bad connection. It does not seem to help. Before that, it was installed as it came from the manufacturer so I suppose it was installed correctly. It does work some of the time.

Posted on January 23, 2015 at 14:29

Hi Hank,

Just generate the output binary file with your IDE, and attach it in your reply.

Regards,

Heisenberg.