cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST-Link upgrade

acorradini91
Associate II
Posted on December 01, 2014 at 15:56

I am using stm32fvldiscovery card and Kiel uv4.

Flash download fails with dll fail messages ( these are different today to yesterday)

But when I ran a kiel provided STlinkupgrade.exe it reported old firmware version V8.J17.S23 should be upgraded to V2.J16.SO. But the upgrade fails.

So now I have installed the STM supplied utilities.

These connect and show the card details and give the warning

ST-LINK Firmware version : V1J12S0 (Need Update)

Old ST-LINK firmware detected!

But when I run the ST-LINK->Firmware update menu item it can not connect.

No St-Link device detected.

Which is odd as exiting this back to the main util screen it connects just fine.

I have tried many versions of unplugging the usb cable, and holding down the black reset button, but no change.

How do I update the firmware?

#stm32fvldiscovery-st-link-upgrad
5 REPLIES 5
pic_micro
Associate II
Posted on December 01, 2014 at 16:53

Use ''STM32 ST-LINK Utility'' Software

acorradini91
Associate II
Posted on December 01, 2014 at 17:15

As far as I know that is the one I am using that will not connect.

I have now asked the kiel compiler to produce a hex file of the target demo code and the above utility has downloaded it fine and it runs OK.

But that does not get the firmware upgrade working.

Posted on December 01, 2014 at 18:31

Isn't the VL Discovery using a very old V1 design? Not sure there's an upgrade path to V2

V1.12 is about the most recent I've seen, and the purpose of upgrading is what? Are you having trouble debugging?

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
acorradini91
Associate II
Posted on December 01, 2014 at 19:22

Well the initial problem was unable to download from Kiel, I have not gone far down the debugging yet. Now I can download from the ST-Link util progress is possible.

But all the tools tell me to upgrade so I was trying to do as told!

How sure are you there is not an upgrade path to V2?

acorradini91
Associate II
Posted on December 01, 2014 at 19:59

After a quick search on the web I find it is possible to upgrade, but it involves soldering extra resistors and other mods. So I will stop where I am with V1.

Thanks for the help.