cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F437 video compression H264

javier
Associate
Posted on December 02, 2014 at 11:44

Hello. In a project we are developing we use the STM32F437 MCU for streaming video. What I would like to know is if with the 256KB RAM it has, it is enough for compress the video in H264. We have not free size to solder a external RAM so we should do it with the internal RAM. Please, let me know if any of you know if we can do it.

Thanks and best regards,

Javier

#stm32f437-video-h264
2 REPLIES 2
stm322399
Senior
Posted on December 02, 2014 at 12:01

Javier,

the capacity of F437 to do H264 is not only related to RAM size. Can you tell us:

* size,depth of the image

* frame rate

* image origin (DCMI?)

I have no clue whether an F4 can do H264 (except being pessimistic about it), i assume that this must leverage Cortex-M4 VFP (beware VFP is single precision only and DSP instructions are not as powerful as NEON). Where will come the software from (or do you plan to develop yourself?).

By the way, note that F4 has 256KB of rAM, but it is not contiguous and not the same kind: 64KB of CCM (does not work with DMA) and 196KB as bus slave (work with DMA). I assume that you can only encode very small images (even 320x200 looks too big).

Posted on December 02, 2014 at 13:05

Isn't this something your CODEC guy could tell you off the top of his head? The bandwidth and resources required for your unspecified frame size/rate?

I'd be surprised if the STM32F4 is capable of COMPRESSING video to H264 at any reasonable frame size/rate.
Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..