cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F429I-Discovery Missing serial COM?

uc2013135191
Associate II
Posted on July 14, 2015 at 22:12

Hi Everyone.

I'm having some doubts about the discovery boards.

I have a nucleo board and a STM32F429I discovery board (the one with a LCD).

In the nucleo board I had next to no problems sending data to the serial monitor (weird that it was missing a 0-ohm resistors for the pinout on those USART pins).

In the Discovery boards it doesn't even show a COM. It only adds a ''Universal Serial Bus Devices'' called ''STM32 STLink''. Is this normal? Maybe a driver I am missing that I can't find? Or a hardware config?

Doesn't STLink allow Serial-USB conversion in a set USART like in the nucleo boards?

It seems PA10 (USART1_RX) and PA9 (USART_TX) seems to be connected to the ST link according to the schematic.

2 REPLIES 2
Posted on July 14, 2015 at 22:40

This has been discussed here several times.

The ST-LINK firmware on the DISCO boards does not support VCP/USART communication. ST would need to decide to do this, or explain why they can't.

On the DISCO board the SWO/SWV is usually viable, sometimes a solder-bridge (SB) has to be made for it to work. The ST-LINK Utilities have an SWV Viewer Window. Works also in Keil, and to my understanding IAR also.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
uc2013135191
Associate II
Posted on July 19, 2015 at 02:02

Hi clive,

Thank you very much for you quick answer.

Too bad it does not work :\ It seems the hardware connection is already made! (at least after a quick glance at the schematic) Weird.

I'm sorry if I am making you repeat yourself, I could not find anything on this (I actually have a hard time finding answers to my questions in the forum search option).

I have to check out ST-LINK Utilities and IAR tools more. I usually used other IDE (and never used ST-LINK Utilities).