cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[question] can I disable the nucleo onboard stlink mass-storage?

wan512
Associate II
Posted on December 05, 2014 at 10:05

i'v tested the nucleo on arm mbed, very nice.

but, when i use the onboard stlink v2.1 to debug my application board, the mbed mass-storeage disk is always pop-up a window.

so, can i disable this disk (not by disbable the system autorun function), only keep the stlink swd & cdc functions?

#nucleo-f401re-st-link/v2-1
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SofLit
ST Employee

Hello,

As said by @Andrew Neil , you can disable it by changing type but you can do it with CubeProgrammer:

Click "Firmware upgrade button" Then click "Open in update mode" button. Check the box "Change type" , finally select "STM32 Debug+VCP" and click "Update": 

SofLit_0-1706708891249.png

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Andrew Neil
Chief II

I also had this question, and a forum search found this unanswered post.

I load code direct from the IDE - I don't use the mass storage - so the pop-up of the file explorer window is just a nuisance.

Turns out there is a way to disable the mass storage feature of the ST-Links on Nucleo boards:

https://community.st.com/t5/stm32-mcus-boards-and-hardware/st-link-on-nucleo-boards-without-connecting-an-usb-memory-device/m-p/191920

it uses the ST-Link Updater, STSW-LINK007https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stsw-link007.html 

That gives you the option to change the 'Type' from 'Debug + Mass Storage + VCP' to just 'Debug + VCP' 

AndrewNeil_0-1706705682018.png

SofLit
ST Employee

Hello,

As said by @Andrew Neil , you can disable it by changing type but you can do it with CubeProgrammer:

Click "Firmware upgrade button" Then click "Open in update mode" button. Check the box "Change type" , finally select "STM32 Debug+VCP" and click "Update": 

SofLit_0-1706708891249.png

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Another easy way, even without touching the ST-LINK firmware: open Device Manager and disable the disk device associated with the ST-LINK. If you have only one or few boards or ST-LINKs, this is the easiest and safest method.