Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32 Custom Bootloader for Stm32VL Discovery

rocksters08
Associate
Posted on December 05, 2014 at 12:15

Hii,

I am new to the topic of Bootloaders, I am currently writing a custom bootloader for stm32 vl discovery via USART, I am searching for the source codes of the factory Programmed bootloader of stm32, are there some source codes which i can download from ST website, I googled a lot but ended up finding IAP sources codes and the app USART protocol used in STM32 Bootloaders, is there some more info regarding  the Bootloaders?

Thank you,

Best,

Ravi.

#bootloader #stm32
3 REPLIES 3
Posted on December 05, 2014 at 14:39

The source code is not available, you'd need to disassemble it.

This is a thread from 2010, the forum crashed since then so the attachment is missing, you could email for that.

https://my.st.com/public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/Lists/cortex_mx_stm32/Flat.aspx?RootFolder=https://my.st.com/public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/Lists/cortex_mx_stm32/STM32%20disassembler&FolderCTID=0x01200200770978C69A1141439FE559EB459D7580009C4E14902C3CDE46A77F0FFD06506F5B&currentviews=2617

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
rocksters08
Associate
Posted on December 11, 2014 at 15:50

Thank You clive, we switched back our task to IAP algorithm by stm32, we have edited the IAP program according to our requirements for stm32vl discovery, I just wanted to know once the IAP program is programmed to flash of the controller can it be possibly erased ?

just once programming the IAP algorithm  is enough for several firmware updates?

(PS: by setting the application address of the firmware and the NVIC table for every firmware update)  

Thank you,

Best regards,

Ravi

Posted on December 11, 2014 at 17:37

Well the idea would be to keep you loader and application(s) in different memory spaces, and only erase the one you wanted to replace. If you code the loader effectively you really shouldn't need to keep replacing/updating it. And you'd only need the System Loader if you mass erased the part, or bricked it in some other fashion. Typically one can avoid a lot of those sorts of problems by testing the application code, and checksumming it so the loader can confirm it's complete/intact before jumping to it.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..