Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IAP firmware upgrade

rocksters08
Associate
Posted on January 29, 2015 at 18:06

Hii

My firmware hex file size is of 65kb size and after going through the code of stm32 IAP  described in CD00161640 pdf , I couldn't understand where the 65kb of data is hold in sram before being flashed, since the size of ram is only 8kb

(will the algorithm erase each byte received from the file and write each byte  to the flash accordingly?)

Thankyou,

Ravi.

#firmware-upgrade #stm32 #iap
1 REPLY 1
Posted on January 29, 2015 at 18:34

a) The size of a .HEX file is about 2-3x the size of the .BIN describing the same non-sparse data. The download uses binary data, not hex data, as I recall.

b) The USART IAP uses a Y-MODEM type implementation, it's block size would be 1KB, it writes the FLASH a block at a time, and does NOT stage it anywhere in a ''whole firmware'' form.

c) It erases the memory, it's not a byte replacement methodology.

d) There are methods to send hex files, and to stage data before flashing, I'd expect most embedded coders could implement such within the limitations of there board design.

Please review the examples source to better understand the inner workings thereof.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..