Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F3Discovery not connecting via USB

adriano
Associate II
Posted on April 20, 2015 at 18:15

Hi,

today I tried to connect my stm32f3disco to my pc as usual, but for some reason it doesn't work. The COM led starts blinkin red and nothing happens. The message ''no st-link detected'' pops up either in keil or ST-link utility.

Tried to connect BOOT0 to the 3V supply (which surely works, I double-checked with a tester), but still nothing happens.

If I press the user button a green led turns on, but nothing else.

Please help :\
4 REPLIES 4
Posted on April 20, 2015 at 18:31

Not sure what you're expecting here.

Make sure you are connected to the

right

correct USB socket, and you can observe the 5 and 3V rails. The 3V apparently works, you'd need to focus your attention on the F103 implementing the ST-LINK function, and any jumpers or solder-bridges.

Make sure the device is not plugged into conductive foam.

Try a different USB port, or PC

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
adriano
Associate II
Posted on April 20, 2015 at 18:50

Tried both of the USB sockets, and checked the 3V already.  The 5V seems to work too (4.6/4.7 V using a tester). The board behaved normally the last time I used it, and then I just unplugged it and put it back in a wooden box (no active components/batteries in there, just an encoder and some cables), so I don't think there's any chance for it to be gone through some kind of incident touching electric stuff.

I'm using it as usual (it's on a wooden desktop, no foam or other, no connections, just the USB cables).

I tried to use the BOOT0 trick as described in some other topic, but it didn't work for me.

What do you mean by the ST-link function? I just tried to flash a program on the board using keil, but it gave me that error (no st-link detected). So I tried with the ST-link utility, with the same result.

Posted on April 20, 2015 at 19:50

What do you mean by the ST-link function? I just tried to flash a program on the board using keil, but it gave me that error (no st-link detected). So I tried with the ST-link utility, with the same result.

There are TWO STM32 chips on the board, an STM32F1 with the ST-LINK firmware on it, and the STM32F3 which is your target chip, which the other one is programming via SWD.

BOOT0 Strapped high takes any firmware you placed on the STM32F3 out of the equation. It does not alter the behaviour of the ST-LINK, but might remedy a ''target not found'' type error.

You have a USB device not found type error, which suggests the connectivity of the STM32F1 to the system. You'd want to look at that, the voltages, the oscillator, and the presence of the right drivers.

Does the Device Manager see the ST-LINK as you plug it in/out?

If you had a second board you could pin the problem down to the board, vs the PC or the connection cable.
Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
adriano
Associate II
Posted on April 22, 2015 at 01:43

The drivers have not changed since last time I connected the board (and it worked then); I also tried to install them again. Same thing said for the USB cables (I tried to swap the two I was using, nothing happens).

Seems like the board isn't detected at all, and unfortunately I don't have any other.