Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F429I-DISC1 and external power supply issue

kajtek610
Associate II
Posted on March 26, 2016 at 22:57

Hi!

Is there any chance to supply external power supply to STM32F429I-DISC1? When I connect 5V to 5V pin nothing happens, except blinking LEDs from ST-LINK and display highlight. Maybe RESET is always active or something?

Thanks in advance and have a nice day!

6 REPLIES 6
Posted on March 27, 2016 at 00:46

I guess you could review the manual, schematic and solder-bridges to understand how to separate and power the board. It is certainly possible to disconnect the ST-LINK from the target processor.

The Nucleo-144 F429 has more jumpers and flexibility in this regard.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
kajtek610
Associate II
Posted on March 27, 2016 at 09:22

I found two solder-bridges which looks suspicious to me.

First one is SB12 (NRST signal of connector CN2 is connected to NRST of STM32F4) is ON now and second SB10 (No incidence on NRST signal of STM32F4) which is OFF.

I checked my others Discovery Borads(F3 and F7, my friend checked F4 (previous generation DISC0)) they work all right. SB configuration is the same, maybe it's a bug, but still I want bypass. 

EDIT:

When I connect 3.3V to NRST pin something changed, display is black with some mess on it. I guess display is connected in some way with RESET pin ? 

Thanks in advance
Walid FTITI_O
Senior II
Posted on March 30, 2016 at 13:48

Hi KajteK,

You should upgrade your ST-LINK firmware to ST-LINK/V2-1 through  

http://www.st.com/web/en/catalog/tools/PF260217

-Hannibal-

Posted on March 30, 2016 at 14:14

If you literally connected nrst to the supply, nothing on the board would reset properly.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
kajtek610
Associate II
Posted on March 30, 2016 at 17:14

It works now, thank You. It will probably take a while until I figure it out.

Walid FTITI_O
Senior II
Posted on March 30, 2016 at 18:08

Hi KajteK,

It's nice to hear that. keep up the good work.

-Hannibal-