cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BlueNRG unique IEEE board addresses?

Scott Löhr
Senior II
Posted on January 08, 2015 at 00:10

Hello - I have run 4 different boards, X-NUCLEO-IDB04A1, from the debugger, stopping on a break point right after a call to hci_read_bd_addr() (which returns success), and all 4 boards had this same board address:

04:02:EC:25:00:FD

In order to go into commercial production with a BTLE product, is it required to ensure unique board addresses? In other words, is it required to buy a block of addresses and ensure that each board produced uses exactly one of the block bought?

Thanks,

#ble-ieee-board-address
4 REPLIES 4
Posted on January 21, 2015 at 17:34

Hi,

A BLE Devices are identified using a public device address or a random device address.  Where the public device address shall be created in accordance with section 9.2 (''48-

bit universal LAN MAC addresses'') of the IEEE 802-2001 standard (

http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/download/802-2001.pdf

) and using a valid Organizationally

Unique Identifier (OUI) obtained from the IEEE Registration Authority (see

http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/forms/

and sections 9 and 9.1 of the

IEEE 802-2001 specification). Otherwise, you can use a random device address.

Best Regards,

Graziella Marchese

Hello - I have run 4 different boards, X-NUCLEO-IDB04A1, from the debugger, stopping on a break point right after a call to hci_read_bd_addr() (which returns success), and all 4 boards had this same board address:

04:02:EC:25:00:FD

In order to go into commercial production with a BTLE product, is it required to ensure unique board addresses? In other words, is it required to buy a block of addresses and ensure that each board produced uses exactly one of the block bought?

Thanks,

Scott Löhr
Senior II
Posted on January 21, 2015 at 22:44

Thank you for the response. After digging in the spec a little more, searching for random address, I read and understand the option to use a randomly generated static address that meets the spec.

T.Ratheesh
Associate II
Posted on January 13, 2016 at 10:03

Hi ,

Please tell me the procedure to generate Static Random address for BlueNRG.

Because i also tried to read board address, but all the board gives same address.

Posted on January 13, 2016 at 10:46

Dear Customer,

Using the BlueNRG, you can:

- use the static random access genereted after each reset

- set a specific static Random address using the command HCI_LE_SET_RANDOM_ADDRESS (therefore you know the address!!)

Anyway, there is not the capability to read the random address.

Instead using the BlueNRG-MS, the static random address is stored inside the Flash. The address is loaded when doing ACI_GAP_INIT. Hence, to overwrite the static random address the HCI_LE_SET_RANDOM_ADDRESS must be called after ACI_GAP_INIT.

To read the random address, you have to use the command:

ACI_HAL_READ_CONFIG_DATA (Offset=0x80).

To do this,  It nedded to download the latest version of GUI DK.

Regards,

GM

Hi ,

Please tell me the procedure to generate Static Random address for BlueNRG.

Because i also tried to read board address, but all the board gives same address.