cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enabling RDP level 1 from application causes hang on STM32F437

trepidacious
Associate
Posted on December 19, 2014 at 11:27

We would like to enable level 1 read-out protection from code running on an STM32F437. We have code that will enable the protection using the following steps:

1. Unlock OPTCR by writing twice to FLAS->OPTKEYR, using special values from reference manual.

2. Wait for BSY bit to clear in SR register.

3. Set new value in OPTCR, with all RDP bits cleared

4. Set STRT bit in OPTCR

5. Wait for BSY bit to clear in SR register.

6. Relock OPTCR by setting lock bit

However, when this runs, the processor seems to hang shortly after step 4, setting the start bit. It may stop immediately - certainly we don't see any serial output that happens just after step 4. We've tried leaving the MCU powered for a few minutes with nothing more happening. 

If the MCU is power cycled, level 1 protection has been set as expected.

We would like to set the readout protection and then continue normally, so that our bootloader can ensure protection is enabled whenever it runs. It would also be fine if a reset is required after enabling protection, since the board has just booted anyway. At worst, we can certainly tolerate the hang, and require the user to power cycle, but we wanted to check this behaviour, since a) it seems unlikely to be the desired result and b) it's not described in the reference manual, as far as we can find.

The protection code described above runs early in boot - we are running an RTOS, so we run the protection code before starting up any other threads.

Early in development of the code, it seemed to run without hanging the processor, just causing a brief interruption to normal execution, presumably while the flash is unreadable during writing of the option bytes, but we can't replicate this - some change to the code/generated binary means that it always hangs.

Finally, we also have code to return to level 1 protection. This runs very similarly - causing a hang when start bit is written. However since our code is running from flash this would seem to be the expected result - the code is erased, so obviously can't keep running! However it would be good to confirm that this approach is valid. The mass erase and level change do seem to work as expected, as long as the MCU is left powered for long enough to complete the mass erase and then change the level. Again, we can't find much detail at all on this in the reference manual, it would be very handy to have an outline of the recommended process, and what happens on the MCU in detail (e.g. we assume that the mass erase happens before the level change, etc.)

Thanks in advance for your help.

#rdp #stm32f4 #stm32
4 REPLIES 4
franck
Associate II
Posted on September 07, 2015 at 16:54

Hi,

I observe the same behavior on my platform. Did you get any new information ?

Thanks in advance.

Franck.
kinovicf
Associate II
Posted on April 20, 2016 at 14:22

Hello,

I was experiencing similar problem. I noticed that when the code is loaded by system bootloader, start is OK. I found out that problem was ST-link. When I connect with ST-link (connect/disconnect, remove protection or load firmware through it) and code makes readout protection, code is blocked and power cycle is needed.

I suppose that connection by ST-link modifies some registers or core and it will cause the problem. The readout protection by ST-link always makes the same situation.

Best regards,

Nelup

Posted on December 12, 2016 at 08:46

Hi,

we're having a similar problem with STM32F303RCT6. Setting RDP from level 0 to 1 in code. When the FLASH download is performed by ST-Link it will hang and also power cycling does not help. Flashing exactly the same hex file via USB bootloader ist working! 

Using ST-LINK Utility and activating the RDP Level 1 is failing as well.

Is there any example how to activate RDP while using SWD to program a device?

Thanks, meiled

ST Renegade
Senior
Posted on December 12, 2016 at 12:33

If I remember well, the ST-Link reads some information from the MCU. When the RDP level 1 is set, this violates the access rules etc. and the device can get stuck. Maybe an update of ST-Link could help. Have you tried to update the ST-Link via ST-Link utility?

Have a nice day,

Renegade