cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stm32f429 discovery - usb mini-type B - Need functionality similar to nucleo boards

renasis
Associate II
Posted on December 30, 2014 at 06:31

Hello,

The Nucleo usb mini-type B(CN1) has the following functionality:

1. st/link

2. serial port

3. mass storage device to allow application flash upload to the board.

I would like to have this same functionality on the mini usb type-B(CN1) stm32f429 discovery board. Is there a bootloader for the stm32f429 discovery that could provide this same functionality? The setup of both boards seems fairly similar with regards to the stm32F10 chip attached to the mini usb. Is there anything preventing this on the stm32f429 from a hardware perspective? If anybody could give me some pointers it would be helpful.

Thanks,

-jimmy

#stm32f4discovery
2 REPLIES 2
renasis
Associate II
Posted on January 08, 2015 at 03:04

clive1,

Thanks for the response.  I put the 32F429IDISCOVERY board in dfu mode by jumpering PB2 to GND and Boot 0 to 3V. Then I connected to the board to the pc via mini usb port. I then used the pc based utility STM32 ST-Link Utility->ST-LINK->Firmware Update, it indicated that the newest firmware for the board is ''V2.J23.S0 STM32 Debugger''. I also happen to have a NUCLEO-F411RE board. I connected it it to the pc up via mini usb. I ran STM32 ST-Link Utility->ST-LINK->Firmware Update and indicated that the latest firmware is ''V2.J23.M7 STM32 Debug+Mass storage''. 

Each board has a STM32F10C connected to the MCU similarly. I believe this firmware is for the STM32F10C chip. Is that correct? It also appears that the source code for this firmware is not publicly available.  So, yes, I would agree, it would be great if ST could give us a timeline as to when this could be completed. 

Posted on December 30, 2014 at 17:23

You'd need a version of ST-LINK firmware that supports that functionality. The VCP functionality has been promised in the past, not sure what the current status/expectations are right now. Perhaps ST can provide some time line?

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..