Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F4 Discovery and gnu

bobslf
Associate
Posted on January 05, 2015 at 14:21

I have a new STM32f4 Discovery board and would like to be able to build, burn,

debug programs in Ubuntu linux version 14.04.

I basically followed these directions: http://www.wolinlabs.com/blog/linux.stm32.discovery.gcc.html

This site says:

If you want the unmodified STM library source download that from

STM's website (I've added Makefiles and linker files to build STM's

example projects w/ the GNU/ARM toolchain, but left

everything else intact..)

So, I used the STM32F4-Discovery_FW_V1.1.0 library from https://github.com/rowol/stm32_discovery_arm_gcc

I was able to build all of these examples, burn, and somewhat debug them with arm-none-eabi-gdb and st-link.

1. I would like to get the STM32CubeF4 examples to work, but I've been unable

to find any instructions, Makefiles, etc to run these in linux from the command

line.

I also discovered that there is a newer version of libraries, STM32F4xx_DSP_StdPeriph_Lib_V1.4.0

But again, there are no Makefiles or gnu support.

2. What is the 'proper' gnu toolchain to use? Is the one that I got from

wolinlabs.com the official version?

3. are the files (with the same names) the same in STM32CubeF4 and STM32F4xx_DSP_StdPeriph_Lib_V1.4.0 the same?

Ie, does STM32CubeF4 just include the same files that are in STM32F4xx_DSP_StdPeriph_Lib_V1.4.0?

4. Why is there no gnu support in these packages? I see support for EWARM, MDK-ARM, and TrueSTUDIO.

5. Is there a place that I can get the files needed to build the examples in these two packages with gnu tools

on the command line?

6. should I use openocd instead of st-link? I tried openocd and it seems to run more reliably (setting breakpoints, eg)

than st-link, but I may not yet have things set up correctly.

#stm32f4-discovery-gnu-makefiles
1 REPLY 1
Posted on January 05, 2015 at 14:47

I also discovered that there is a newer version of libraries, STM32F4xx_DSP_StdPeriph_Lib_V1.4.0

But again, there are no Makefiles or gnu support.

2. What is the 'proper' gnu toolchain to use? Is the one that I got from

wolinlabs.com the official version?

The official releases do not have stand-alone GNU/GCC makefiles or linker scripts. These are usually added by third parties, like myself, to demonstrate functionality. Both Atollic and RiDe use GNU/GCC tool chains. The makefiles in these other releases should be usable in newer releases, you might have to tweak a DEFINE or two.

4. Why is there no gnu support in these packages? I see support for EWARM, MDK-ARM, and TrueSTUDIO.

Open Source tool users are deemed sufficiently competent to use the tools they have chosen. Support costs are burdensome, especially for users who pay nothing.
Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..