cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VL6180X performance

Posted on December 30, 2014 at 16:47

The application is simple - proximity detection between 20mm and 150mm.

The VL6180x is clear (no glass or any other surface covering the sensor)

I tried to initialize both with the default values of the VL6180X and with the values used in the �Premium Eval board� and with two different sensors and always got the same results. The readings under ~100 mm were in the minimum.

Changing the offset (SYSRANGE_PART_TO_PART_RANGE_OFFSET) didn�t change the minimal sensing distance, nor changing other parameters like the SYSRANGE_THRESH_LOW/HIGH, SYSRANGE_RANGE_IGNORE_VALID_HEIGHT and many others.

What can cause this kind of behavior? Any recommendations?

#vl6180x #proximity-sensor #vl6180
2 REPLIES 2
Colin RAMRATTAN
Associate II
Posted on January 07, 2015 at 16:07

Hello Sharon,

From reading your question below, I am unsure exactly what you mean by ''minimum'' values.

If possible can you send me any datalogs you have from your premium evaluation kit from your work email account address.

My email address is colin.ramrattan@st.com

This way I can take a look at the issue you are having and provide you with more complete feedback.

heri
Associate II
Posted on February 25, 2015 at 13:28

I am facing exactly the same problem.

The 'minimum' value means 0.

I tried the EVALKIT-VL6180X and it works fine. Then I tried two VL6180X with my own board and the sensor never set result_range_device_ready. I take the result with delay and the sensor measure start from ~100mm as 0 and increasing at longer distance.