Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect STM32F427 board via SWD of ST-link of STM32F407 discovery

Tai.Cheng Chung
Associate II
Posted on March 04, 2015 at 14:06

Dear Sir:

I can't connect a STM32F427IIT6 custom board via ST-link (SWD) of STM32F407 discovery board . Neither through uVision 5.0 nor through ST-link Utility (I use STM32 ST-link utility v3.6.0, STLinkUSDDriver.dll v4.3.4.0, ST-link-CLI.exe v2.2.0).

When try connecting using ST-link utility, it will report:

No target connected

Can not connect to target!

Please select ''Connect Under Reset'' mode from Target->Settings menu and try again.

If you're trying to connect to a low frequency application , please select a lower SWD Frequency mode from Target->Settings menu.

The question is:

Q1: Can STM32F407 discovery ST-link be used for STM32F427 body? Or Only STM32F427 discovery board can be connected with!

Q2: If yes for STM32F407 discovery board, what ST-link FW version is fine to used on STm32F427 device?

Q3: What hardware should I check when connected by SWD? Now on discovery board, I remove two jumps of CN3, and connect only pin 2~4 (SWD_CLK, GND, SWD_DIO) of CN2 to (PA14, GND, PA13) of STM32F427 custom board. 
3 REPLIES 3
Posted on March 04, 2015 at 16:28

1) Should be fine

2) Use current firmware, also should be fine

3) You must disconnect local target, ie remove CN1 jumpers, and any related Solder Bridges. I would connect NRST to the new target.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Tai.Cheng Chung
Associate II
Posted on March 09, 2015 at 02:28

Dear Clive1:

Thanks for the information. Now I can connect/download FW/run via ST-Utility.exe to target board. However uVision still can't recognize the target board. Maybe it's due to device ID mismatch between project setting in uVision and real chip.

Q: Is there easy way to change device setting in project? Or I need to ceate a new project always when I want to change device setting? It shows grey color in project setting.

Posted on March 09, 2015 at 12:45

I'm not sure what you're asking, the options for the project should be changeable, do you have a screen shot illustrating the problem?

Check if the ST-LINK is configured in SWD mode under the debugger settings.

Make sure the project template, or whatever you're using as a starting point is not read-only.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..