Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Keyboard Plug&play driver

chrispikula
Associate
Posted on January 16, 2015 at 21:34

Hello!

I've got a stm32VLDiscovery that has a stm32f100rb on it, and I've got a project I'd like to attempt for one of my classes.  I want to make a custom programable keyboard, that can send specific/special Unicode characters to text inputs on windows machines.  Symbols like:  ????? ????, etc.  The class is about hardware driver coding, and that part is under control.  (Stuff like OLED displays, keypads, UART/I2C, etc, etc.)

Making it a true peripheral is out of scope for the class, but I kinda want to make this for myself, and to have a solid basis for how to do similar things in the future.

What I want to do, however, is make this device plug&play compatible.  I'd like to plug it in via USB, authorize the unsigned drivers, and then be able to use it as a secondary keyboard.  (The whole idea is that I'm tired of copy&pasting non-ascii symbols into my notes) 

I want/have to do this mostly on my own, but a big part of me isn't sure where to start, or if it's even possible.  It should be, but I'm not solid on that.  I've got no experience coding windows drivers either. 

So, is this possible?  I'm looking through stm32usb_hid.zip, but is there anything else I should be looking at to get me started on this path?  Do I have enough memory on this device for it to be able to store and launch the plug&play drivers?  Any other pitfalls I should be aware of and learn about first?

Cheers,

Chris Pikula

#stm32vldiscovery #stm32f100rb
0 REPLIES 0