Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User error: Reset failed - Target held in reset state

maulin
Associate II
Posted on January 21, 2015 at 07:04

Hi All,

I am trying to program STM32F105RCT7 using IAR, while I do program I am facing an error as below

User error: Reset failed - Target held in reset state. 

I have check voltages at pin no. 1, 13, 19, 32, 48 and 64 I am getting 3.3Vdc. I have also tried to give GND on NRST pin but then also I am could not program my device. Similarly I tried with STM32F103R8 but it had not issue with program.

Please help me if anybody have come across such issue. It is very urgent.
8 REPLIES 8
Posted on January 21, 2015 at 13:42

It is very urgent.

Is someone

http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#urgent

?

So maybe you have a schematic? Do you have the JTAG/SWD connector backward? Is the part correctly orientated?
Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
maulin
Associate II
Posted on January 22, 2015 at 06:07

Dear Clivel,

I have SWD and it is working. As I mentioned that same ST-link/V2 is able to do program STM32F103 but unable to do program STM32F105. And yes of course part is correctly oriented. 

Posted on January 22, 2015 at 11:10

Ok, so your debug pod works on another board, with another chip, not sure that advances my understanding of this board.

Is this the SAME board design with a different chip soldered on it? Are you sure you don't have a short? Does a second board with F105 do the same?
maulin
Associate II
Posted on January 22, 2015 at 11:56

Dear Clive1,

I have checked all issue related to this. I have Two different board with two different chipset. one is with STM32F103 and one is with STM32F105. I have also program STM32F105 board more then 10 times. But suddenly It started showing this message.  

Posted on January 22, 2015 at 12:10

Does it do this if you reset the board with BOOT0 pulled high? This would cause it to run the System Loader, as apposed to user code which could turn off the power, or GPIO connectivity.

How about ''connect under reset'' type options for the debugger?

NRESET should not be driven high by external circuitry, or tied to VCC.
maulin
Associate II
Posted on January 22, 2015 at 13:27

Dear Clive,

Boot0 and 1 both are unconnected electrically, It has provision to connect but I did not connected it. Let me check with ''connect under reset'' with debugger.

Please can you suggest is it possible to erase CPU memory without loading debugger? 

Posted on January 22, 2015 at 14:40

The Flash Loader Demonstrator with access to USART1 (PA9/PA10) would be able to, but this would require BOOT0 pulled high and running the System Loader. In normal operation BOOT0 should be pulled low.

The ST-LINK Utilities should provide a method, as do most IDE (Keil/IAR) to erase the flash independently of a debug session.
maulin
Associate II
Posted on January 23, 2015 at 11:09

Dear Clive,

I tried but all fail. I have removed my MCU and replace with new one. Now it is working.