Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I2C Watchdog

christoph2
Associate II
Posted on January 26, 2016 at 17:17

Hello,

I'm interested in the ''I2C Watchdog'' setting in the M24SR System file. There doesn't seem to be any information in the datasheet about it, and I couldn't find anything using google either.

Anyone know if and how it works, what the value in this field means (is it boolean or a timeout Setting) ?

I guess it could be interesting if it helps preventing I2C deadlock conditions automatically.

Thanks in advance, kind regards,

Chris

PS Btw also thank you to ''product Support 3'' on the other thread ''how to lock for writing'' ... for some reason the Forum didn't allow me to post a reply over there...

#m24sr-i2c-watchdog
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JP Miller
Senior
Posted on January 27, 2016 at 09:22

Hello,

The ''I2C Watchdog'' is indeed ensuring that the I2C host will not keep the session open, while there's no more activity on the I2C bus (between the stop bit of the previous transaction, and the start bit of the next one)

By default the Watchdog is off (ie the I2C watchdog byte of the System File is 0).

If programmed to a non null value N, the Watchdog is enabled and counts N * 30 ms (30ms is  approximate) before releasing the I2C region.

Thanks for your feed-back on the other thread.

Best Regards,

Have a nice day

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
JP Miller
Senior
Posted on January 27, 2016 at 09:22

Hello,

The ''I2C Watchdog'' is indeed ensuring that the I2C host will not keep the session open, while there's no more activity on the I2C bus (between the stop bit of the previous transaction, and the start bit of the next one)

By default the Watchdog is off (ie the I2C watchdog byte of the System File is 0).

If programmed to a non null value N, the Watchdog is enabled and counts N * 30 ms (30ms is  approximate) before releasing the I2C region.

Thanks for your feed-back on the other thread.

Best Regards,

Have a nice day

christoph2
Associate II
Posted on January 27, 2016 at 09:50

Hello,

thanks a lot for the fast reply, that's a helpful feature !

Kind regards,

Chris