siddj
Associate II
Posted on February 25, 2009 at 14:19

Active High and active low GPIO config

4 REPLIES 4
siddj
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 13:04

I need to give active low and high signals to the XILINX CPLD from my processor. I am unsure how the GPIO's need to be configured.

Does this work?

For active low

GPIO_WriteBit(GPIOB,GPIO_Pin_10,Bit_RESET);

For active high

GPIO_WriteBit(GPIOB,GPIO_Pin_10,Bit_SET);

Also GPIO's are configured as Output_OD.

Please let me know if that is the right way to go.

Thanks!

trevor1
Associate II

What voltage are the CPLD inputs? Do they have pull up or pull down resistors or are the just floating?

Output_OD would be used only is the CPLD inputs have pull up resistors.

sofiene
Associate III

Hi siddj;

As said by trevor, to work with Output OD, each GPIO has to be pulled-up by a resistor (externally implemented or embedded in the CPLD).

Otherwise you'll never obtain a high level seen by your CPLD.

Why you don't use the output push-pull configuration?

jj
Associate II

M3allem-

You/I have tried to assist in a related post. Suspect that this fellow seeks to obtain ''bi-directional'' Data-Bus operation between his STM32 and his CPLD.

Now STOne-32 earlier/other post suggested the use of open drain. Like you - I believed push-pull. Of course what you say about pull-up Rs with open drain is true.

I'm still curious on the benefits/performance/trade-offs between ''push-pull and open-drain'' - as regards a ''bi-directional'' bus design. It seems that one ''asks for trouble'' using push-pull on both sides. Some mechanism must be designed so that only one device is actively in the output mode.

In the olde days of CPUs with separate ADR/DATA buses we simply daisy chained the micro D-bus to each memory/accessory - NO pull-ups were involved! (and clearly - I did not pay enough attention to HOW this worked - we just conveniently used it...)