albert_hsu
Associate II
Posted on November 09, 2008 at 22:45

Is I2S in STM32F103xC bidirectional?

4 REPLIES 4
albert_hsu
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 12:51

Most of the I2Ss configuration are supported for output functions only.We know that STM32F103xC support 2 I2Ss in it's design. Are the I2Ss birectional? Or any STM microcontroller supports birectional I2S interface?

Thanks.

16-32micros
Associate III

Hi,

STM32 I2S features are :

â—� Simplex communication (only transmitter or receiver)

â—� Master or slave operations

â—� 8-bit programmable linear prescaler to reach accurate audio sample frequencies (from 8 kHz to 48 kHz)

â—� Data format may be 16-bit, 24-bit or 32-bit

â—� Packet frame is fixed to 16-bit (16-bit data frame) or 32-bit (16-bit, 24-bit, 32-bit data frame) by audio channel

â—� Programmable clock polarity (steady state)

â—� Underrun flag in slave transmission mode and Overrun flag in reception mode (master and slave)

â—� 16-bit register for transmission and reception with one data register for both channel sides

â—� Supported I2S protocols:

– I2S Phillips standard

– MSB-Justified standard (Left-Justified)

– LSB-Justified standard (Right-Justified)

– PCM standard (with short and long frame synchronization on 16-bit channel frame or 16-bit data frame extended to 32-bit channel frame)

â—� Data direction is always MSB first

â—� DMA capability for transmission and reception (16-bit wide)

� Master clock may be output to drive an external audio component. Ratio is fixed at 256 × FS (where FS is the audio sampling frequency)

For More details refer to RM0008 (Reference Manual ) available on web Section : ''I2S functional description''.

Cheers,

ST1.

albert_hsu
Associate II

Hi, STM1,

So from RM0008, the I2S in the high-density devices can be configured as audio in /audio out, right? So we can use the I2S to input digital audio to the high-density devices and output to host via some transport protocol like USB, is it correct?

Thanks,

Albert Hsu. 🙂

ajr
Associate

I have hardware already implemented design that I must make work:

STM32F103ZG can I connect a single CODEC to both I2S2 in master TX, and I2S3 in slave RX?  Will this work? Can it be made to work?

If not I have to have 2 codecs, one connected to I2S2 in master TX, and the other to I2S3 in master RX right?