Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple question-- F429Idiscovery & Serial USB through STLink

Morgan.Doug
Associate II
Posted on May 23, 2015 at 15:42

Hello:

I have the 429I Discovery and can't get the serial <-> USB through stlink to work as it does on all the nucleo boards -- is this functional?

I have updated the stlink firmware, added a connector to the TX/RX pins below the SWD connector and wired it up to USART1 (PA_9 & PA_10) but the board does not appear to enumerate as a serial port.  Programming and SW viewer works just fine.   Am I missing something?

Thanks

Doug
2 REPLIES 2
Posted on May 23, 2015 at 16:52

This functionality on the NUCLEO boards hasn't been back ported to the DISCO boards. Not sure why as it looks like the connectivity is available.

On the DISCO boards I've typically just used the SWV (Serial Wire Viewer) functionality, ensuring the PB3 SWO is connected via the required solder bridges. The ST-LINK Utilities have an SWV Window, and Keil has a Serial Debug (printf) pane in the debugger when the Trace settings are suitably configured.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Morgan.Doug
Associate II
Posted on May 23, 2015 at 17:22

Thanks Clive1...

I guess I will have to use the stlink from a nucleo or one of those FTDI things and move on.   Too bad it isn't as simple as loading the nucleo firmware but not a big deal and the board is awesome for the price.

I do have the viewer working (after figuring out that I needed to jumper it) so it didn't hold me up.

Thanks

Doug