cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

datasheet not user friendly

kumaresh
Associate II
Posted on April 03, 2015 at 15:09

hello, i was happy to know ST was offering very broad controller series line at very cost. i was very disappointed and felt the heat when i started using its datasheets. though it gives bulk of information it's certainly not user friendly and doesnt cover the subject fully.

am i the only one feeling like this? whats your view guys.

#rant
4 REPLIES 4
Posted on April 03, 2015 at 15:28

Can you be more specific? The materials are not designed to be educational, but rather convey salient facts to design engineers.

ST's model is to break documentation into Data Sheet/Manual, Reference Manual and Programming Manual. You will still likely need processor specific documentation, and support materials from ARM, ie TRM and one of Joseph Yiu's books.

The Reference Manual can be dense and awkward in places, but the information is generally in there, and it's certainly not the worst I've seen, I'd say it's above average, but then again it's not written by the IC designers.

One should also review the library source code to get a different perspective on peripherals when needed.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
jpeacock
Associate II
Posted on April 03, 2015 at 18:26

Compared to other vendors I'd say the ST datasheets are about as complete as anyone else.  Keep in mind datasheets are a reference, not a tutorial.  There are application notes to demonstrate specific features, but it isn't the job of any IC vendor to teach basic electronics or programming.  No they aren't ''friendly'' to hobbyists and beginners, but that's not the market major IC vendors target.

ST and IC vendors in general sell to professional designers who don't need all the handholding on what a timer is used for or why a level shifter is needed for a UART connected to RS-232.  There is a presumption that designers have a minimum of training sufficient to understand datasheets.

Sure I'd always like more information but no one has infinite resources for documentation.  If there's enough demand some publisher will come out with better tutorials (I believe Newnes does this for the STM32), but that's usually too late for a designer trying to hit some time to market design goal.

it comes down to economics.  Unfortunately as far as I can tell universities don't require those classes for technical degrees anymore.

Jack Peacock

kumaresh
Associate II
Posted on April 04, 2015 at 06:48

i searched other vendor datasheets they are also same like ST. i was working only in 8/16 bit before, so i expected same kind of datasheet for 32. sorry, now on i swill start to play with 32 datasheets. thanks guys.

tomaskrueger
Associate II
Posted on April 04, 2015 at 20:44

Hi KJ,

Well....since many of the newer controllers include ARM cores, documentation would rely on knowledge of those documentations as well.

Typically manufacturers include ARM-cores and build custom peripheral around that.

So, this may increase complexity on documentation.

I wonder if you have another/better example as reference?