cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easiest way to get data out of STM32F0308-DISCO?

stthormj9
Associate II
Posted on July 13, 2016 at 23:21

So, the Cortex-M0 doesn't support tracing (so it doesn't support semihosting).

The board has a TX & RX pin and a corresponding pair of solder bridges, but the manual says ''reserved''.

So is it best to connect an external USB->3v3 Serial to UART1 and do that or is there a way I can use the TX/RX on the board?

#stm32f0308-disco-stm32f0
2 REPLIES 2
Posted on July 14, 2016 at 00:38

Well it doesn't support the SWO pin and SWV type output. Both Keil and GNU are pretty easy to set up to direct printf, putchar, etc out a USART instead.

As I recall this DISCO is from a time before mbed, so the ST-LINK doesn't support the USART/VCP interface, and I'm not sure if there is a DISC1 model. If you are not tied to features of the DISCO, then the NUCLEO's all support mbed/vcp.

I'd lean to a USB-to-CMOS Serial adapter, the SiLabs ones are quite cheap and reliable. I'd avoid the FTDI ones simply because they nuked the fake ones on boards I had no control over, and the Prolific ones have drivers that continually BSOD on me. 

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
stthormj9
Associate II
Posted on July 14, 2016 at 21:00

Thank you!  It seems that the Nucleo boards bring a little more to the table than I thought (, so I'll be sticking with them for a while (For this little guy, I wasn't going to use an OS or TLS or other bits, but a VCP is always welcome!).