cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CubeMX extremely slow on OSX when in pinout view for BGA packages

Kamil Kisiel
Associate III
Posted on April 13, 2017 at 20:38

Has anyone else run into this problem? If I start a new project for the STM32F746G-DISCO board, the pinout view is glacially slow. It doesn't respond well to input, for example clicking any of the drop down menus in the peripheral configuration takes upwards of 20-30 seconds to display the menu.

I'm on a 2016 Macbook Pro with macOS Sierra.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kamil Kisiel
Associate III
Posted on May 30, 2017 at 00:26

This seems to be fixed in version 4.21.0 of CubeMX. Thanks ST!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
john doe
Lead
Posted on April 14, 2017 at 01:40

How old is your java install? Try updating it. It certainly helped me.

Posted on April 14, 2017 at 02:38

It's the latest, Java 8 update 121.

Posted on April 14, 2017 at 08:01

I've seen this on my MBP 2010 with 8G of RAM. Cube will lock down around a gig of RAM for I have no idea what (Eclipse is far more complex and it doesn't grab nearly as much) and send the system into a swap-fest that hasn't been seen since the 90s.

This doesn't happen on my 2011 or 2012 that have 16G of RAM. There is enough left over, with all of the crap that I have running, that the system never starts swapping.

Andrei from The Great White North

Posted on April 17, 2017 at 18:39

Okay, I gave it a try on my Mid-2010 MacBook Pro with 8GB of RAM. Cube has locked down 930MB of RAM.

I started a project for the 746G discovery board and cube is nearly useless in the pinout screen. The other applications on my system are still pretty zippy. So the RAM usage, even though it is very high, isn't killing the system. Cube is also using about 18-40% of one CPU, so not horrible.

So it's not processor or memory bound.

Also, I figured that I would enable MCO1 and MCO2, but cube says that they conflict with Timer1 channel1. That's odd, because T1C1 is disabled. But if you go to the pins, F14 and F15, and set them to the MCO alternate function, suddenly the conflicts are cleared. Even if you disable the MCO function.

But it is very slow.

Andrei

Posted on April 17, 2017 at 18:43

That's also been my experience. The RAM usage looks reasonable (at least as far as CubeMX goes...) and the rest of the system is responsive. In fact, if you switch CubeMX to the Clock Configuration or Configuration screen it becomes responsive again. So the poor performance is limited to the Pinout screen with the large BGA package. There must be some kind of bug in the rendering code that is causing poor performance.

Posted on April 18, 2017 at 15:10

Hello Andrei,

Please note that the slowness will be reviewed by our CubeMX experts.

Meanwhile, would you mind creating a new thread where you describe the pins conflict issue? It should be better to manage it separately.

Thank you.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Kamil Kisiel
Associate III
Posted on May 30, 2017 at 00:26

This seems to be fixed in version 4.21.0 of CubeMX. Thanks ST!