cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST-Link Utility v4.0.0.0 crash on Windows 10

Posted on September 22, 2016 at 04:21

I recently completed a Seminar about the Cortex-M7 and when I got home, I updated my ST-Link Utility from 3.8.x to 4.0.0.0. The earlier version worked, the new version crashes every time I try Target -> Connect.

I also, did an ST-Link Firmware update and it still crashes. Any ideas?

#st-link-crash-v4.0.0 #st-link-windows-10-crash
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Posted on December 08, 2016 at 15:57

This is a closing followup to this problem.

Last month, a virus changed the firmware inside my disk drive, changing the geometry from 500GB to 1.2MB and left behind a bootable version of FreeDOS. So my system was obliterated.

I handed the disk over to a security firm for investigation and it is now with a government security agency.

I bought a new disk and did a complete re-install of everything and the reported problem with ST-Link no longer exists.

In addition, STMicroelectronics has listened and made a dramatically impressive improvement to the community forum service that can only get better as time goes on.

Most excellent change folks and shows that your corporation is committed to the customer and continued use of your products.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Christopher Pappas
Senior II
Posted on September 22, 2016 at 05:23

I would try running the ST-LINK Utility as an Admin.

If that works, you can set up the program to always run as Admin.

I have no idea why, but it stops the app from crashing on my Windows 10 Anniversary Laptop. Maybe the access rights to the HDD or USB device??

Try it out!

Christopher

slimen
Senior
Posted on September 22, 2016 at 10:46

Hi,

Could you please provide more details on your case: Have you an Error message ?

If you can test and check this issue with another Pc, in order to know the root cause and deduce if the problem here seems related to the hardware or software environment or was caused by ST-Link.

May be you can check if you are already setting compatibility mode for windows 8 option.

Regards

Posted on September 22, 2016 at 19:18

Below and attached is a description of the failure modes with ST-Link Utility v4.0.0.

I apologize for the forum formatting, it did not properly translate the MS Word Tabs on the bullet lists.

There are pictures in the attached file.

Successful Operations

1. Used Programs and Features to uninstall STM32 ST-Link Utility v3.8.0
  2. Used Programs and Features to install STM32 ST-Link Utility v3.8.0

STM32 ST-Link Utility

• STM32 ST-Link Utility.exe v3.8.0
  • STLinkUSBDriver.dll v4.4.0.0
  • ST-LinkCLI.exe v2.4.0
  • External Loader N25Q128A_STM32F746G-DISCO

All three different techniques for Connecting and Disconnecting were used,

• Icons in Menu bar
  • Menu choices under Target Menu choice
  • OK button in the Settings dialog window

Repeatedly Connect and Disconnect the following Targets,

• STM32F4 Discovery MB997B – NO CRASHES

• Firmware version: V2.JSO
    • STM32 F7 Discovery MB1191B – NO CRASHES

• Firmware version: V2.JM13

All three different techniques for Connecting and Disconnecting were used,

• Icons in Menu bar
  • OK button in Settings dialog window

Unsuccessful Operations

1. Used Programs and Features to uninstall STM32 ST-Link Utility v3.8.0
  2. Used Programs and Features to install STM32 ST-Link Utility v4.0.0

STM32 ST-Link Utility

• STM32 ST-Link Utility.exe v4.0.0.0
  • STLinkUSBDriver.dll v4.4.0.0
  • ST-LinkCLI.exe v3.0.0.0
  • External Loader N25Q128A_STM32F746G-DISCO

The following two different techniques for Connecting and Disconnecting were used,

• Icons in Menu bar

Repeatedly Connect and Disconnect the following Targets,

• STM32F4 Discovery MB997B – CRASHES EVERY TIME

• Firmware version updated to: V2.JSO
    • STM32 F7 Discovery MB1191B – CRASHED EVERY TIME

• Firmware version updated to: V2.JM15

This is where it gets interesting,

• When the Connect Icon is used and immediately after the CRASH the user is offered the choice to Close the Program, “

TWICE

�?.
  • When the Target Menu choice Connect is used, immediately after the CRASH the user is offered the choice to Close the Program, “

ONCE

�?
  • With either module connected, when the

OK button in the Settings dialog window is used a Target Connect occurs without a CRASH

and all three Connection techniques continue to work as expected for the entire duration the ST-Link Utility application is run. When the application is exited, then the previously described failure mode occurs again as described.

Attachments :

STM32_ST.docx : https://st--c.eu10.content.force.com/sfc/dist/version/download/?oid=00Db0000000YtG6&ids=0680X000006Hto3&d=%2Fa%2F0X0000000aXA%2FoaPapvppWqNZtVOVWWpZVzZiwgDxZO5OkkunFbLmj4o&asPdf=false
slimen
Senior
Posted on September 23, 2016 at 12:41

Hi,

Maybe this is due to synchronization problem in the web:

When I downloaded the version 4.0.0 without login (by simply providing name and e-mail address) I have the version 3.9.0 (sized 18Mb) instead the latest one.

But, when I downloaded with login, I have successfully installed

ST-Link Utility v

So, you should 

login before to download

the needed version ST-Link Utility and check that you have the version 4.0.0 (not 3.9.0) with size 24Mb.

Please try the download with login and let me know if it is OK with this suggestion.

Regards

Posted on September 23, 2016 at 15:15

I always login before writing and when downloading.

The details in my entry also indicate the specific versions of the ST-Link software I am using and what the fault observation is.

Thanks for the suggestion.

ON ANOTHER NOTE, THE FORUM SOFTWARE NEEDS SOME REALLY MAJPR IMPROVEMENTS.

I WOULD CONTEND THAT ST MICROELECTRONICS PRODUCT SALES ARE BEING ADVERSELY IMPACTED BY CRAPPY FORUM SOFTWARE.

THERE ARE MANY OTHER VENDORS OFFERING ARM BASED MCU'S AND THEY HAVE SUPERIOR FORUM SOFTWARE APPLICATIONS.

GET WITH THE PROGRAM ST MICROELECTRONICS. FIX THE FORUM SOFTWARE, NOW

Posted on December 08, 2016 at 15:57

This is a closing followup to this problem.

Last month, a virus changed the firmware inside my disk drive, changing the geometry from 500GB to 1.2MB and left behind a bootable version of FreeDOS. So my system was obliterated.

I handed the disk over to a security firm for investigation and it is now with a government security agency.

I bought a new disk and did a complete re-install of everything and the reported problem with ST-Link no longer exists.

In addition, STMicroelectronics has listened and made a dramatically impressive improvement to the community forum service that can only get better as time goes on.

Most excellent change folks and shows that your corporation is committed to the customer and continued use of your products.