Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stepper motor

yasamin
Associate II
Posted on May 18, 2015 at 06:33

Hi

I want to select a stepper motor for my project. I use L6470 IC drive.

I�m new in motor working. I need a bipolar 2 phase stepper motor with minimum voltage 8 volt. Is it correct?

Could you guide me in choosing a correct stepper motor?

Yasamin Gharib

#stepper-motor #l6470
6 REPLIES 6
Enrico Poli
ST Employee
Posted on May 21, 2015 at 08:14

Hi,

the L6470 is able to drive a wide range of bipolar stepper motors (or unipolar stepper motors connected in a bipolar topology).

The voltage rating is le less interesting parameter for a stepper motor, in fact it is only a different way to indicate the actual ''rating'' of the motor: the maximum phase current.

The L6470 ca only drive up to 3A of DC current, so it is better to select a motor with a rating current lower of this value, otherwise you will not able using the full potential of you motor (i.e. maximum torque).

Kind Regards

Enrico

yasamin
Associate II
Posted on May 23, 2015 at 09:15

Hi

thanks for your help

I don't understand the ''2-phase'' stepper motor. What is difference between 2-phase and 4-phase?

The L6470 device is suitable for driving two-phase bipolar stepper motors with microstepping.

Please guide me in this point

thanks

yasamin

Enrico Poli
ST Employee
Posted on May 25, 2015 at 09:34

Hi Yasamin,

There are different kinds of stepper motors.

The number of phases (i.e. the internal structure of the coils generating the stator magnetic field) is one of main characteristics.

The 2-phase motors are the most commons and they are divided in two sub-families:

- unipolar (for each phase is also provided a central connection)

- bipolar

The L6470 is designed for driving 2phase bipolar motors; the most of the stepper motor are of this kind, in fact ''stepper motor'' usually reffers to these motors and the numebr of phases is specified only when is different (e.g. five phase or three phase stepper motors).

Best Regadrs

Enrico

yasamin
Associate II
Posted on May 25, 2015 at 13:14

Thanks

Is ST24 stepper motor 2 phase or 4 phase?

http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/mingjong/product-detailEtgxiRUJWnlw/China-Stepping-Motor-ST24-.html

Enrico Poli
ST Employee
Posted on May 28, 2015 at 15:18

According to manufacturer it is a 4 phase stepper motor

http://www.mingjong.net/index.php?action=prod_detail&p_id=87

Regards

Enrico

yasamin
Associate II
Posted on June 07, 2015 at 05:50

thanks

so I must buy another stepper motor.