cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to read code from the device?

LMI2
Lead
Posted on January 20, 2016 at 20:29

I tried to read the code, binary data, from a Discovery Card F407 but noticed I can't. I tried ST Link and Keil.

What is the problem? Surely this is not the first time some one wants to do this.
3 REPLIES 3
Posted on January 20, 2016 at 22:03

The ST-LINK Utilities do this without much drama, and Keil has SAVE which generates .HEX files, but that's easy enough to create .BINs from.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
LMI2
Lead
Posted on January 20, 2016 at 23:02

I have to disagree you in this ''The ST-LINK Utilities do this without much drama''. Because when they say ''Save the displayed content in a binary file'' it brings into my mind some kind of a screen capture. The whole memory can not fit into the display at one time.

I wonder if it is because english is not my first language or what, but the words and phrases chosen in these products sometimes feel quite misleading or odd. Like I have said in some of my earlier posts.

But I decided to test this and found out that in spite of what the description said, saving did save the whole memory.

Posted on January 21, 2016 at 01:04

Given the staffing of the STM32 projects I suspect English isn't the first language for them either.

You do however have a tendency to over think things, there's no reason to think that saving a screen shot has any value in such a tool, but loading and saving binary and hex files would be a primary goal. The window pane does allow you to specify the address and size of the memory to read/view, and this same scope is used to save that data. And failing all the intuitive behaviour and documentation, one can always experiment and review the results against desired out comes.

The User Interface is definitely a bit clunky, but these things are likely written by a couple of engineers, not a vast team of app developers.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..