Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM8 With Cosmic Code Size

cfleck
Associate II
Posted on May 19, 2015 at 00:24

Hey guys,

I've been told that when using COSMIC to program my STM8S003F3 I should have a code size of 8 kilobytes. Currently my code size is at 3846 and I am getting a text size overflow. Is the 8 kilobytes not the true code size or is there something that I am missing?

Thank you very much!

Charles

#codesize #cosmic
6 REPLIES 6
luca239955_stm1_st
Senior II
Posted on May 19, 2015 at 09:24

There are 2 possibilities:

- the maximum ''application size'' of the 32k free version is calculated on the code+constants+ram

- you might have a similar error (size overflow) if you somehow specify a maximum size (for example, 8k) for a given segment in the linker file and the segment gets bigger than that: in this case just change your linker file.

Regards.

Ian Legg
Senior
Posted on May 19, 2015 at 09:26

Hi Charles,

I think(?) this question has been asked before and it seems that Cosmic includes the RAM footprint in its calculation too!

Thanks,

Ian

cfleck
Associate II
Posted on May 19, 2015 at 17:37

Hey,

I'm pretty new to using ST Visual Develop. I'm looking at my linker information and it seems that the Input tab is specifying where to put my code. I've attached my a picture of my current screen, what exactly should I change to safely be able to increase my code size?

Thanks again!

Charles

Attachments :

linker.JPG : https://st--c.eu10.content.force.com/sfc/dist/version/download/?oid=00Db0000000YtG6&ids=0680X000006Htgo&d=%2Fa%2F0X0000000aVm%2F8iuQm8zeVIGUHR7eCznxV4kRKV7CXIqU.UfHBeJ3Ybs&asPdf=false
luca239955_stm1_st
Senior II
Posted on May 20, 2015 at 17:35

the stvd settings that you show generate a linker file that will limit the code size at 8k.

If you get a .text size overflow with this linker file it means that your code (+constants) is bigger than 8k and not 3k something as you say in the first post (by the way, where did you get that info?)

Regards.

cfleck
Associate II
Posted on May 20, 2015 at 23:45

Hey Luca,

I actually ended up switching environments and got it to work, so this problem is now solved, thank you for your help!

When I tried to compile the error I got was that my code did not fit. It's very possible that I misread it and that it was saying I was going 3000 over the 8 kilobyte limit? The code is definitely less than 8 kilobytes when I compile it in the other environment though. I assume they must compile drastically differently if my code was actually turning out to be 11 kilobytes using ST Visual Develop when it is well under 8 kilobytes in the other environment.

Either way, thank you very much for your help!

Charles

Posted on February 09, 2017 at 14:29

Hey Charles,

Which environment you switched to? I am facing the same problem and stuck big time.

Please help.