Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeMX Performance on Mac OS X, sluggish

Craig B
Associate II
Posted on September 30, 2016 at 20:36

ST,

My team has recently started using the OS X version of CubeMX after using the Windows version for the last couple years.  Our current project uses an STM32F429NGH6, which has lots of pins.  CubeMX is very slow when configuring an MCU with so many pins.  On Windows it is slow but tolerable, however on OS X it is nearly unusable.  A simple click on a pin to set it via the drop down menu can take 5+ seconds for the dropdown menu to appear and another 5+ seconds for the click on the option to be recognized and menu dismissed.

Is there anything you guys can do to improve the performance?  I realize that's not necessary an easy thing to do, but it's probably time to focus some efforts on it.

We have now moved our embedded development entirely to the Mac and I'm sure many others studios out there are doing the same.  I'm sure your other users migrating to the Mac will appreciate any speed improvements you can make with CubeMX.

Thanks,

Craig

#stm32cubemx-performance-mac-slow
3 REPLIES 3
Posted on September 30, 2016 at 21:01

It runs in Java, is that inherently slow on OSX?

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Craig B
Associate II
Posted on September 30, 2016 at 23:05

No, I don't find Java slow on OS X.  The funny thing is that I run the Windows version in a vmware Fusion Windows 7 instance and that runs faster than the OS X version.  Perhaps there are some Java settings that the ST folks could suggest to improve performance?

BTW, my machine is a late 2012 mac book pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 with 8 GB ram.  While this machine isn't new, it still performs quite well.  CubeMX is the only app that I run which where I notice slow performance.

stm32cube-t
Senior III
Posted on October 06, 2016 at 18:03

Dear Craig,

Thank you for your feedback. Your point is under investigation.

Best regards