cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MFX docs?

lee23
Associate II
Posted on July 17, 2015 at 00:17

The user manual for the STM32L053 discovery board shows an ''MFX'' module that looks like it does interesting things, including perhaps measuring the current consumed by the chip. Is there any documentation / app note / sample code for this module anywhere? I can't find any. Getting those numbers without using an ammeter would be very handy.

3 REPLIES 3
Posted on July 17, 2015 at 17:14

It connects via I2C

STM32Cube_FW_L0_V1.1.0\Projects\STM32L053C8-Discovery\Demonstrations\Modules\iddmeasurement\power.c

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
lee23
Associate II
Posted on July 17, 2015 at 18:25

Thanks. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems to load a demo program into the L053 that lets you select a power mode and shows the current used. That's cool, but not that useful. I need to load *my* program into the chip and measure what it uses while actually running.

Perhaps I could decipher the I2C protocol used in the demo and add that code to my program, but whatever means I might have of getting that data to me (serial, store in flash, etc.) would itself use power. Still, that might get me good data at the time of measurement, just not over the long run.

Or back to the ammeter...

Posted on July 17, 2015 at 21:29

It's part of the demo app yes, but the measuring function is on a separate STM32 you're not programming. You speak to it via I2C as demonstrated in the POWER.C file. So yes, you'll probably need to port the elements you need out of that file into your own, but I don't see that as being an overwhelming complex or time consuming task.

The other STM32 is separately powered. Might take a little effort to come up with a baseline/slope.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..