Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB HS Failure to ACK Bulk OUT packet

cnicolls
Associate
Posted on March 09, 2016 at 15:55

Hi All,

I'm working on a STM32F429-based USB HighSpeed peripheral which exchanges MIDI data with a host computer.If you're not familiar with MIDI, don't worry about it - just know that in the land of USB it's represented as 2 x bulk endpoints. In a nutshell - the problem I'm seeing is that sometimes the STM32 fails to provide a handshake packet (NAK, ACK, or otherwise) in response to a OUT packet to the incoming bulk endpoint of the device. I'm reaching out to see if anyone has experienced a similar issue, hopefully with a workaround/solution. My configuration is as follows:
  • Hardware: STM32F4x9I-EVAL board (Rev B)
  • Libraries: STM32 USB OTG Library v2.20 (includes SPL v1.6.0)
  • USB Config: Using the USB-HS core with the on-board ULPI PHY enabled
  • Host: Win7-64 PC

I'm looking at the trace from a USB protocol analyzer and can see the following series of events:

1. I send a 'large' packet of data to the device. I have the bulk endpoint defined as 512 bytes, so the result is the host starts sending many back-to-back 512byte OUT packets.
  2. Several transfers are successfully accepted by the device, where success is defined as: A) OUT, DATAx, ACK ... or B) OUT, DATAx, NAK, PING, ACK, OUT, DATAx, ACK. In both these cases the STM32 has accepted the data transfer.
  3. At some point (~50 transfers later), the host sends a OUT, DATAx...but the STM32 never responds with a handshake byte (ACK, NAK, NYET, STALL)
  4. The host recognizes it never receives a handshake and as a result sends a PING to check the endpoint status. The STM32 responds in kind with an ACK, meaning the endpoint is ready.
  5. The host thinking the endpoint is now ready, attempts the OUT, DATAx again...but still...no handshake packet back from the STM
  6. Steps 3-5 occur for many transactions (100K+)...and then for some reason the STM32 finally decides to ACK an OUT transaction. It transfers some more data, but then falls back into the bad behavior of steps 3-5.

It's worth noting that this problem does not occur if I use either the USB-FS core of the USB-HS core with on-chip FS PHY. But this is at a significantly data rate.

The only other ISR running in the system is SysTick, and it's as low as a priority as it can get. I'm not currently do anything with the incoming data. I'm merely trying to test the raw transfer speed. My ''_DataOut'' handler within the USB ISR is very simplistic.The MIDI data handler within is simply a stub at this point.

uint8_t usbd_MIDI_DataOut(
void
*pdev, uint8_t epnum)
{
// ------------------------------------------------------------------------
// Determine how many bytes have been received and handle them
// Note: USB should NAK until endpoint is re-prepared for new reception
uint32_t rx_count = ((USB_OTG_CORE_HANDLE *)pdev)->dev.out_ep[epnum].xfer_count;
usbd_MIDI_RX(rx_buffer, rx_count);
// Re-Prepare the OUT endpoint to receive the next packet from the host
// uint32_t DCD_EP_PrepareRx(USB_OTG_CORE_HANDLE *pdev, uint8_t ep_addr, uint8_t *pbuf, uint16_t buf_len)
DCD_EP_PrepareRx(pdev, midi_driver_config.base_ep_out, rx_buffer, MIDI_EP_SIZE);
return
USBD_OK;
}

void
usbd_MIDI_RX(uint8_t* buffer, uint32_t len)
{
// ReadUsbRcvdData(buffer, len);
}

The USB trace is seen below. 0690X00000604tnQAA.png #ulpi #usb #stm32f4
1 REPLY 1
cnicolls
Associate
Posted on March 09, 2016 at 22:01

Follow-Up interesting testing result - simplifying the # of USB devices running on my machine allows the USB transactions to run smoothly without the issue I indicated earlier. I'm going to add the other devices on one at a time to see where things break-down.

So it may not be a firmware/library issue as opposed to general misbehavior by something else on the bus.