Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No I2C2 or SPI2 on STM32CubeMX

wdxsea003
Associate II
Posted on June 24, 2015 at 20:44

Hi Guys

I'm trying out setting up a project and implementing hardware abstraction on my STM32F051C6T6 for university work, using the STM32CubeMX tool. Really enjoying the ease of setting up pins with the tool, however, there it seems to be a few missing peripherals for the above mcu. I haven't check them all, but the ones that I came across that were missing were I2C2 and SPI2.

Obviously, I could go and edit the generated code for these peripherals, but that sort of defeats the purpose. What should I do?

I see that the release schedule for the cube firmware from ST isn't the most frequent, but is there somewhere I can report the missing peripherals?

Cheers

Sean

#stm32cube #stm32 #stm32cubemx
4 REPLIES 4
Posted on June 24, 2015 at 21:53

Doesn't the 32KB FLASH part only have 1x SPI and I2C? Because that's how I read page 10 of the Data Manual

http://www.st.com/st-web-ui/static/active/en/resource/technical/document/datasheet/DM00039193.pdf

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/STM32F051C6T6/497-12948-ND/3193383

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
wdxsea003
Associate II
Posted on June 24, 2015 at 22:26

Ha! That's how I'm reading it now too.  However, I've used SPI2 as well as I2C2 countless times on this device. Thoroughly confused. And I've hit the 32k flash limit as well.

Posted on June 24, 2015 at 23:03

Well there's usually a shell game going on with the die being used. Your part could well have two SPI/I2C implemented, but it's sold as having one of each, and Cube is using that matrix to determine what you have. Tell it you're using the part# of the 64KB model, and it will likely offer those peripherals to you.

All the F205/405/407 die have 1MB of FLASH, smaller subsets are tested as it is expensive in tester time to probe the entire array, and the parts are priced/marked accordingly.

It is probable that SPI2 and I2C2 have not been tested on your part, so if you took this to manufacturing quantities you'd run the risk of getting parts where the peripherals don't function properly, or that ST could change the die on you as they cost reduce or shrink the die.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
wdxsea003
Associate II
Posted on June 24, 2015 at 23:24

That's news 🙂 That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the insight!