cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HAL_AFIO does not handle changes to JTAG/SWD properly

dean2399
Associate
Posted on November 22, 2017 at 20:27

At least on the SMT32F103x parts, the SWJ_CFG bits in the AFIO_MAPR register are write only.  Reading these bits is undefined.  All of the __HAL_AFIO_REMAP macros in stm32f1xx_hal_GPIO_ex.h do read/modify/write operations to this register.  This can cause wild behavior.

For example, on the STM32F103VET6:

__HAL_AFIO_REMAP_SWJ_NOJTAG();

__HAL_AFIO_REMAP_TIM4_ENABLE();

This first sets AFIO_MAPR to 0x02000000 to disable the JTAG pins.  Then, while remapping TIM4 it sets AFIO_MAPR to 0x04001000 which both remaps TIM4 and completely disables JTAG and SWD.  This happens because the undefined read of the SWJ_CFG bits gets written back to the AFIO_MAPR.

Workaround are to cache the state AFIO_MAPR locally and write that, or use the Bit-Band memory to operate on individual bits.

#cube-hal #afio #debug
5 REPLIES 5
dean2399
Associate
Posted on November 22, 2017 at 22:27

Scratch that bit-band option.  Forgot that it still equates to a word Read-Modify-Write.

Richard Jones
Associate II
Posted on January 24, 2018 at 19:02

I also just hit the ST library problems with re-mapped peripherals (via STM32cubeMX) , basically they contain read-modify-writes to AFIO_MAPR, a register that contains SWJ_CFG[2:0] bits that can't be read as you know.

I've re-mapped peripherals on many boards over the years, how many work by luckily reading  valid or correct  SWJ_CFG bits, I feel a little uneasy now, might they get it wrong on a power-up some day?

I though it worth a look to see when this was first raised,

95617 titled 'Issues when setting SWJ_CFG in AFIO->MAPR to SWJ_NOJTAG' in Oct-2016

84493 titled 'Lost SWD debugging Connection at __HAL_AFIO_REMAP_CAN1_2();' back in Nov-2015

I stopped looking at this point,  The issue has been known for quite a while.

Any easy solutions?

At the moment I've hacked the cubeMX init into my own file and added __HAL_AFIO_REMAP_SWJ_NOJTAG(); after each remap as I'm using 2-wire SW-CLK and SWDIO. 

Posted on January 25, 2018 at 12:26

... when I say '

might they get it wrong on a power-up some day?',

it had occurred to me I could end up with illegal values in the SWJ_CFG[2:0] bits, Reference RM0008 table-18 regarding Debug config states 'Other : Forbidden', that;s 50% of combinations, however 7.4.2 says 'Other combinations: no effect' so perhaps they're safe, it's not clear.
Der Max
Associate
Posted on January 25, 2018 at 21:03

I ran into the same type of issue: 

https://community.st.com/0D50X00009XkWmqSAF

My workaround is to 'manually' call the remap function again in the user-section after all Inits have completed.

Please fix this ST, this is really hard to catch since the behavior is chock-full of red-herrings (I spent ~1h searching the hardware defines for changes after being able to 'fix' it by completely disabling SWD in the configurator).

Imen.D
ST Employee
Posted on March 22, 2018 at 14:53

Hello,

We would inform you that a new patch for STM32CubeF1 Firmware Package v1.6.1 is published to fix this issue.

Kind Regards,

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen