cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programming a Nucleo F411RE board with code from MikroE compiler

rossmcm
Associate
Posted on November 15, 2015 at 23:34

I have a Nucleo F411RE board and eventually want to program it with code generated by the MikroE Pascal for ARM compiler.  At present I have the board running code from the MBed C++ compiler and the programming side of this is great.  To program the device by copying the binary file to a ''disk'' that is in fact the development board programmer is very convenient.

Eventually however, I want to get code from the MikroE compiler into the board.  MikroE have a programmer (which we have bought), however the programmer has a JTAG interface and I can't see how we would interface this to the Nucleo.  I don't necessarily want to go that way however - if I can utilize the convenience of the ''copy-a-binary-file-to-program-the-device'' and avoid the need to hook up a programmer (when the Nucleo already has one on board) it would be sweet.

And so to my question(s):

• Does anybody listening use the Nucleo board with the MikroE compilers?  
  • How to you program it?  
  • Can the MikroE compiler generate a binary program image?
  • Is there anything special about the binary image file the MBED compiler copies to the Nucleo board, or is it just a faithful binary image of what end up in the device's memory?
Many thanks for reading this far.

R

#nucleo #stm32f411-usb #programing
1 REPLY 1
Posted on November 16, 2015 at 02:13

I suspect you can answer a lot of your own questions if you do a little experimentation, and review the outputs with a file manager, hex editor, or whatever tools of choice you use.

You can use the ST-LINK Utilities to read off the content of the F411RE, and verify for yourself what's on it. Similarly it can be used to write data to the board independent of mbed.

I don't have MikroE compilers, but have a number of their boards, including the Clicker 2, click boards, and F4-DISCO breakout boards, and the ST-LINK V2 mikroProg adapter.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..