cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Found a new ''low-level layer'' in the CubeL4 library

carmine
Associate II
Posted on March 13, 2016 at 17:17

I have just discovered a new ''undocumented'' layer in the latest CubeL4 library. If I understand it, it is a Low-Level layer (it's named

HAL_<PPP>_LL

) and it's a more optimized way to deal with STM32L4 peripherals, losing portability between different CubeHALs. However, I can't find a word from ST about this on the official web site, and I wonder how it's related with the actual HAL: does this module aim to provide a separated ''low-level'' path to the hardware, or it will replace/integrate the HAL? Is ST planning to ''change'' the current logic under the HAL? Will this module be introduced in other HALs too?

I think that it would be important that ST engineers give us more information on the direction, otherwise it's really hard to invest on this platform..... 

#stm32-hal-low-level
3 REPLIES 3
Radosław
Senior
Posted on March 13, 2016 at 17:26

LL HAL is new.  ST start to develop this as response to reports about code size of other libraries.

For me this is nothing new, It is still ugly. Reg based programing is more readable and so on. LL is only new names for bits. Strange

Amel NASRI
ST Employee
Posted on March 16, 2016 at 17:57

Hi cnoviello,

I would like to provide you some more details about the LL drivers inside the STM32CubeL4: ''The STM32Cube HAL is an STM32 embedded software stack that ensures a maximized portability across STM32 portfolio, while the LL APIs make up a fast, light-weight, expert-oriented layer which is closer to the hardware than the HAL. HAL and LL APIs can be used simultaneously.''.

This is exactly the description provided in the

http://www.st.com/web/en/catalog/tools/PF261908

Some more details about these drivers and how to use them on standalone or mixed with HAL drivers are provided in:

-Mayla-

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Lead
Posted on March 21, 2016 at 07:52

> I would like to provide you some more details about the LL drivers inside the STM32CubeL4: ...

Is there any information available about the LL state of testing, e.g. coverage and results ?

Otherwise, one would be tempted to take the number of bug reports / complaints on this forum as estimate.