cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apparent bug in ST-LINK/V2 firmware V2.J28.S6

Jim Seymour
Senior
Posted on July 12, 2017 at 19:29

This isn't really a question - since I found a solution.  It's an observation in case others encounter a similar problem.

We purchased a new ST-LINK/V2 adapter recently and it shipped with firmware 'V2.J28.S6'.

We use this adapter along with a cable from Tag-Connect to program our boards (

STM32F030C8).  However, I 

found that I could only program our board if the cable was connected before I start the Program+Verify operation.  (Related problem: the 'Automatic mode' does not recognize when the cable is connected to our board - and the utility gets sluggish when I do).

Since the latest ST-LINK Utility included firmware version 27, I decided to 'upgrade' my adapter from 28 to 27.

Once I did this, everything worked as expected.

It would appear that ST-LINK/V2 firmware 

V2.J28.S6 contains some kind of bug that does not exist in V2.J27.S6.

Anyone else seen this?

5 REPLIES 5
Imen.D
ST Employee
Posted on July 13, 2017 at 13:34

Hello

Seymour.Jim

We cannot reproduce your reported issue using STLink/V2 with many boards and STM32F0308-Disco, tested with V2.JS6, V2.JS6 andV2.JS7(the latest on the ST site)

Which ST-Link Utility version and STLinkUSBDriver.dll are you using ?

Can you please describe clearly (in details) the steps that you have followed?

With Regards

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen
Jim Seymour
Senior
Posted on July 13, 2017 at 18:29

I'm running ST-LINK v4.0.0.0; STLinkUSBDriver.dll 4.4.0.0; ST-LINK_CLI.exe v3.0.0.0.  If it matters, this is on a Windows 7 Pro system (SP1; 64-bit).

Unfortunately, I can no longer duplicate the problem since I've flashed my adapter back to version 27.  If you can point me to where I can get firmware 28, I can try to duplicate the problem again to provide more details.

Posted on July 13, 2017 at 18:59

28 should be in the ST-LINK Firmware Update

http://www.st.com/en/embedded-software/stsw-link007.html

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on July 22, 2017 at 00:07

I finally got time to play with this today - and I can duplicate the problem.  If I program firmware 28 into my ST-LINK/V2, the 'Automatic Mode' in ST-LINK Utility v4.0.0 does not work.  It does not recognize when I connect the Tag-Connect cable to our board.

As soon as I flashed the firmware back to 27, it started working.

If there's anything you'd like me to do to help diagnose this issue, I'm happy to help.

paulpaul9153
Associate II
Posted on January 12, 2018 at 09:16

Tha same problem for me! The new S28 block automatic mode, but if i try S27 all works well! Please update the firmware! The Automatic mode is very useful!