Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timer clock 6 MHz and SPI clock 8 MHz

matic
Associate III
Posted on August 05, 2016 at 19:36

Hi.

Is it possible to achieve that combination somehow? I am using F303 which has max. SYSCLK 72 MHz (this could go lower). But I would need one timer which runs at 6 MHz and SPI CLK with 8 MHz.
4 REPLIES 4
Posted on August 05, 2016 at 20:09

SPI is the main constraint, the divisors of which are powers of 2, thus the only clock yielding 8MHz is 64MHz (maybe also 32MHz, I am not much into the F3s), and you can't achieve 6MHz dividing that.

There is a way around though, generating 8MHz from 72MHz in an other timer, and then feeding it into SPI running as slave externally.

JW

matic
Associate III
Posted on August 05, 2016 at 20:25

Hi Jan.

Could you explain please a little bit more, how do you mean to generate 8 MHz clock for SPI with another timer? I understand that Timer could run at 8 MHz with prescaler 8, if SYSCLK is 72 MHz. (72 / (8+1)) But how could I feed that to SPI?

Thanks a lot

Posted on August 05, 2016 at 20:33

SPI can be slaved

If I wanted a 6 MHz clock, I'd use a 6 or 12 MHz HSE crystal and push that out PA8 MCO pin. Pretty sure you could then play games with the PLL (multipliers/dividers) to get to 64 MHz so you could get to 8 MHz on one of the SPI peripherals.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on August 05, 2016 at 22:25

> But how could I feed that to SPI?

As I said above, externally. I mean, output the 8MHz through a CC channel onto a pin, and connect that pin with the SCK pin of the SPI.

JW