Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial EEPROM Byte and Page Write Endurance

eg7963
Associate III
Posted on April 11, 2017 at 11:42

Hi There ,

We are currently working on a project using an EEPROM to store sporadic data. The eeprom is a 24AA512 with 512kbits memory, from Microchip.

We use it to store datalogging data from our application. The problem is that we sometimes also need to store only 3-4 bytes data and that this eeprom does page or byte write operations identically, meanning that a full page of 128bytes is refreshed even if I choose to write only one byte in a page area, reducing the endurance of the full page of one cycle everytime. This might cause a problem in our application.

Could anybody tell me if that is the case too in chips of ST , as the M24512 or M95512 for example? does every single byte write means that the full page has to be refreshed? That point doesn't seem to be clearly defined in the datasheet...

thanks in advance for any help.

Eric

#endurance #byte-write #page-write #eeprom
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Posted on April 26, 2017 at 11:10

Ok,

for those that this might interest, I received an answer from st support which is the following:

'In ST EEPROM, a byte or page write doesn’t trigger a full page refresh.

Only the addressed bytes and the adjacent bytes sharing the same ECC word are updated.'

This basically answered my question, so i'll mark it as solved.

Beside this, I still haven't found a more appropriate forum section than 'Interface and Connectivity' to ask a question about EEPROM on this forum.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Posted on April 11, 2017 at 18:55

This is the connectivity forum...

eg7963
Associate III
Posted on April 12, 2017 at 09:33

I understand that this is the 'Interface and Connectivity ICs' forum, and assumed that this the most appropriate forum since there is no forum foreseen for the memory ics on that website, and that the 'Interface' part is probaybly what is the closest to the i2c addressable EEPROM.

I would be more than happy to move my question to a more appropriate forum if you can make clear in which forum it belongs to.

Thanks

Posted on April 26, 2017 at 11:10

Ok,

for those that this might interest, I received an answer from st support which is the following:

'In ST EEPROM, a byte or page write doesn’t trigger a full page refresh.

Only the addressed bytes and the adjacent bytes sharing the same ECC word are updated.'

This basically answered my question, so i'll mark it as solved.

Beside this, I still haven't found a more appropriate forum section than 'Interface and Connectivity' to ask a question about EEPROM on this forum.