cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32Cube L0 V1.1.0 Bug

vdvcat
Associate
Posted on August 01, 2015 at 17:10

I'm using 32L0538DISCOVERY board and STM32Cube L0 V1.1.0.

Firstly, why are the pictures declared as ''static''??? It produces more code and use a lot of data RAM. Just replace all the occurrences of ''static'' in ''menu_res.c'' to ''const'':

replace

static uint8_t Background_pic[] = {

to

const uint8_t Background_pic[] = {

and so on.

It frees about 3k of your RAM. Simple magic, isn't it?

Next look in the ''gde021a1.c'', function ''gde021a1_DrawImage'':

301         uint8_t pixels_4_grey[4];

327         pixels_4_grey[j] &= 0xFC;

There is no initialization between these lines of pixels_4_grey array. It placed in stack and may contain any garbage from its previous incarnations. It would be not so bad if it does not form the data_res variable later in code with logic summing (face palm here). I strongly recommend to create standalone function with name like ''Convert4pixels_bw_to_gray'' and place there this code:

uint8_t Convert4pixels_bw_to_gray( uint8_t pixels_4 )

{

int i;

uint8_t pixels_4_grey;

// We do not need to initialize pixels_4_grey because of it has 8-bit length and

// shifts 2x4=8 bits during process

for ( i=0; i<4; i++ ){

pixels_4_grey <<= 2;               // Left shift fills 2 LSBs with zeros

if ( (pixels_4 & 0x01) == 0 ){  // White bit in picture

pixels_4_grey |= 0x03;       // Fill 2 LSBs with maximal intensity level

}

pixels_4 >>= 1;                        // Go to the next picture bit

}

return( pixels_4_grey ); // Now we have 4 grey pixels

}

Result:

- lower code;

- lower data (1 byte for pixels_4_grey instead of 4 and so on);

- bug with uninitialised pixels_4_grey eliminated.

#bug #l0 #stm32cube
1 REPLY 1
qwer.asdf
Senior
Posted on August 03, 2015 at 16:03

> Firstly, why are the pictures declared as ''static''??? It produces more code and use a lot of data RAM. Just replace all the occurrences of ''static'' in ''menu_res.c'' to ''const'':

Well, static and const aren't exclusive to each other, in this case ''static const'' is better than just ''const'' because these variables are being used only in that particular C source file, so adding ''static'' is good coding to limit the variable's scope.