Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F407 DMA Transfer Peripheral to Peripheral

mogwaifactory
Associate II
Posted on November 19, 2015 at 18:32

Hello,

I'm wondering if it is possible like with the pic32 to initiate a DMA transfer from peripheral to peripheral. So far the documentation I've read specifies periph to memory, memory to periph, or memory to memory.

The idea is to forward every bytes from USART2_RX to USART6_TX and vice versa.

I'm currently doing it with interrupts, but I would like to lighten the MCU a little bit because it does a lot of things in background.

Should I use a small buffer in memory and do periph to mem, then mem to periph?

Thanks for your input.

Dan.

#stm32 #stm32f407 #uart #stm32f4

Note: this post was migrated and contained many threaded conversations, some content may be missing.
20 REPLIES 20
Posted on November 19, 2015 at 19:49

Memory-to-Memory can cover both peripheral buses, the DMA1 associates internally with APB1 devices, DMA2 w/APB2

If the triggering device is on APB2, you should be able to use it's DMA Channel/Stream to copy to another peripheral or memory location.

I honestly don't see much value in forwarding between two USARTs like that and not having the data in memory. What you're describing can be easily done with bits of wire.

Suggest you experiment.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
mogwaifactory
Associate II
Posted on November 20, 2015 at 09:34

Thank you for your input Clive, the only reason I'm passing through the mcu is that the user can change the baudrate from the front panel to the first uart, but from the second uart to the fiber converter, this one is fixed. The mcu serves then as a buffer if the first baudrate is lower (it won't be higher to prevent bottleneck).

I'll take a look at what you said.

Thanks,

Dan.

jpeacock
Associate II
Posted on November 20, 2015 at 15:17

From the RM:

''

Dual AHB master bus architecture, one dedicated to memory accesses and one

dedicated to peripheral accesses''

There's only one AHB port to peripherals.  Memory to memory works (only on DMA2) because the AHB peripheral port on DMA2 can also access memory.  For a peripheral to peripheral DMA the AHB memory port would have to also support peripherals (according to the RM it doesn't).

Jack Peacock
mogwaifactory
Associate II
Posted on November 20, 2015 at 16:50

Hi Jack,

That confirms what I read on the AN4031.

http://www.st.com/web/en/resource/technical/document/application_note/DM00046011.pdf

Thanks,

Dan.

Posted on November 20, 2015 at 19:28

I beg to disagree. IMO, you can use the peripheral port of the DMA stream ''assigned'' to slower UART's Rx to read from that one, triggered by that one, and the memory port of that DMA stream to write to the faster UART's Tx. The ''vice versa'' generally can't work, you would experience data loss when going from faster to slower; but I understand that there might be specific circumstances which would throttle the slower enough to get it working.

Why don't you simply try, it's a one hour's fun exercise directly in the debugger, you don't need to write a single line of code. Set up both UARTs (clock, baudrate, enable rx tx), then set up the respective DMA stream, send data to first UART's Rx and watch on debugger (not the UARTs' registers! the DMA registers) what's hapening, and eventually the data coming out the second UART's Tx.

JW

mogwaifactory
Associate II
Posted on November 20, 2015 at 20:29

I Jan,

I was about to try it this weekend when I'm finished with another more urgent project.

I think the vice versa would work in my case because most of the time, both uarts will be at the same baudrate, it's a very rare case where the board would buffer a slower baudrate. And if that happens, I have a rolling buffer ready. Plus the data exchanged are just ascii lines to drive a highspeed camera, so no continuous stream that will bottleneck.

Thanks for your input,

Dan.

Posted on November 21, 2015 at 11:46

> I think the vice versa would work in my case because most of the time, both uarts will be at the

> same baudrate, it's a very rare case where the board would buffer a slower baudrate. And if

> that happens, I have a rolling buffer ready.

''rolling buffer'' and ''periheral to peripheral DMA'' are two contradictory things.

You still can handle the incoming faster data using DMA but storing into RAM; you need to handle the outgoing slower data in software though.

JW

Posted on October 02, 2017 at 22:57

I just did this experiment and unfortunately, Mr. Peacock is right - It cannot be done [EDIT: It can be done. See Jan's post below]. Here is a brief overview of my experiment (chip is STM32F429):

USART6 (APB2 bus / DMA2) Rx & Tx externally connected via loopback wire

USART6 Tx transmits a buffer via DMA

USART6 Rx receives via DMA

Results:

USART6 Rx - Peripheral -> Memory - MINC (Memory Increment) Enabled - Points to SRAM address - Works

USART6 Rx - Peripheral -> Memory - MINC (Memory Increment) Disabled - Points to SRAM address - Works

USART6 Rx - Peripheral -> Memory - MINC (Memory Increment) Disabled - Points to GPIOE->ODR - No output

USART6 Rx - Peripheral -> Memory - MINC (Memory Increment) Disabled - Points to DAC1->DHR8R1 - No output

Both GPIOE & DAC1 enabled before the start of DMA and manually tested by writing to output register and seeing the results on a scope

Posted on October 03, 2017 at 23:07

In attachment is a simple program, which does what you outlined above: one DMA2 stream transfers some bytes from memory to USART6, USART6's Tx is externally looped back to Rx, another DMA2 stream transfers the received byte to GPIOx_ODR. If run on a DISCO-F4, the LEDs will blink according to the data pattern in RAM (provided jumper is installed between USART6 RX-TX. i.e. PC6-PC7).

JW

Attachments :

cw.zip : https://st--c.eu10.content.force.com/sfc/dist/version/download/?oid=00Db0000000YtG6&ids=0680X000006HyOc&d=%2Fa%2F0X0000000b72%2FmUCrYYPDfWGD_EXJ9yje9OahOMABf7bovLyQtoZA9.w&asPdf=false

cw.zip : https://st--c.eu10.content.force.com/sfc/dist/version/download/?oid=00Db0000000YtG6&ids=0680X000006HyOh&d=%2Fa%2F0X0000000b73%2FeJ7PYtsKf9yUTnmra8XdbcDwfZkJR3DUasB9E8Ql0Ac&asPdf=false