cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use the Virtual Com via ST-Link

rbenesh
Associate II
Posted on October 12, 2015 at 23:51

I have an Discovery board. It has the provision to pass the UART of the target through the on-board ST-Link. I have searched the literature on the board and the manuals. I havent been able to find how this works. I assumed there would be a a provision to activate the virtual COM port channel of the ST-Link micro to allow the data to pass through to the Target like a utility on the PC or a driver to allow a terminal program to talk to it. 

The only thing I can identify is the solder bridges must be implemented. 

#on-board-st-link
4 REPLIES 4
Posted on October 13, 2015 at 03:06

The USART connectivity is not implemented in the DISCO ST-LINK firmware, only in the NUCLEO ST-LINK firmware. I don't know why this is the case, perhaps the F103 used in the latter is different. Only ST can explain the reasoning, as it would make a lot of sense to have that feature here.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
rbenesh
Associate II
Posted on October 14, 2015 at 22:11

Thanks Clive.

Where did you find this info? Did you do the one thing I didn't and phone in ?

Posted on October 15, 2015 at 19:56

I have put together a tutorial on using the discovery boards' onboard USB as a terminal console output if you would like to enable console I/O to a terminal program with a separate USB input on your PC to a Terminal emulator program.  It uses CubeMX to configure the startup code and adds a couple of files for the hooks to sdio calls.  It is intended as a tutorial on using the CooCox CoIDE environment but it works just as well with any of the ST supported environments as well.  You'll just need to add those couple of files and some code snippets covered in the documentation. You can find them at:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yg4iy7h6xmca7lk/AACouu73L44JaYNdtgqSV0pna?dl=0

Posted on October 16, 2015 at 01:30

Where did you find this info? Did you do the one thing I didn't and phone in ?

I've been using STM32 parts for 6-7 years, I just pay attention to what does, and doesn't function.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..