cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the temperature sensor integrated in STM32F429 calibrated or not?

diverger
Associate III
Posted on September 06, 2017 at 09:59

In STM32F4's reference manual (RM0090), it gives a formula to calculate the temperature from the result converted from ADC.  But in STM32F429xxx's datasheet, I find it gives a table to show the register address store the calibration values:

0690X000006088gQAA.png

I know the temperature sensor in STM32F0 series is calibrated. So, I wonder if the temperature sensor in STM32F4 is calibrated too? 

#stm32f4 #temperature-sensor #stm32f0
10 REPLIES 10
Imen.D
ST Employee
Posted on September 06, 2017 at 18:33

Hello

Zhang.Vincent

T

he temperature sensor in STM32F4 is calibrated, andyou have the calibration values in the datasheet.

Kind Regards

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen
Posted on September 06, 2017 at 18:43

>>So, I wonder if the temperature sensor in STM32F4 is calibrated too? 

But probably not in the sense that the specific device was run over temperature in an environmental chamber.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
john doe
Lead
Posted on September 07, 2017 at 01:20

While it may be 'calibrated,' it is still a relative measurement and not an absolute one.

Posted on September 06, 2017 at 23:40

Clive,

from the datasheet I read that the chip/wafer is actually held at 30 and 110 degree and the ADC values are recorded.

Posted on September 07, 2017 at 03:28

Can you explain more?  Can't we measure the temperature (at least the temperature in the chip) even taking advantage of the two-point calibrated data?

Posted on September 07, 2017 at 03:33

Can you give more explanation? I think by use the two-point calibrated data, we can get a more accurate temperature.

Posted on September 07, 2017 at 03:51

Precision or Accuracy?

Unless you run your chip/board/enclosure up and down across a temperature gradient to understand how your supply voltage and regulation behave, and come up with some sort of correlation, I don't think it will have much value beyond just a gate temp estimate.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on September 07, 2017 at 04:10

Yes, I mean Accuracy.

Actually, I do some correlation, at least for the VDDA. Because the factory value is calibrated at 3.3V. So I measure my VDDA, and do some 'scaling', and try to make it stable.

So, I think the temperature I get will be more accurate. Sure, I know it may only the temperature inside the chip, not outside the chip.

Posted on September 07, 2017 at 17:12

I'm saying outside forces with systemic/dynamic impact will be the primary drivers of accuracy, you should be thermally cycling your system to understand its behaviour. A white-paper/app-note from an ST Lab will cover their experiences, your mileage will likely vary. If this is important to you I recommend you characterize it in your own lab/hot-box.