cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

L6470: Switching between two speeds using Run command causes current to slowly drop

jim2399
Associate
Posted on September 01, 2015 at 09:43

Hello,

I'm using an L6470 over SPI to change between two speeds every few seconds (say 1000 steps/s <-> 1100 steps/s). To achieve this I am issuing the Run command alternating between my two set points.

I have noticed that every time I swap speeds the current reduces very slightly. After my application has been running for an hour the current has reduced to such a point where there is no longer enough torque to turn the motor. Setting the motor to 0 steps/s (again using the Run command) and back causes the current to return to normal. If I leave the motor to run at a constant speed, there is no change in current over the time period. Stopping the motor between each speed change is not ideal.

To debug this problem I have tried to remove all status polling and that did not help. I also ensured that there is no erroneous SPI commands being sent using a logic analyser. I have also ruled thermal problems by using freeze spray on the L6470 chip. And I on't think it is a power supply problem. The rate of decay of the current through the motor is proportional to the rate I send through the run command.

Any ideas what could cause this behavior?

Thanks

Edit:

I was able to reproduce this behavior using dSPIN and EVAL6470H-DISC. I have attached the script and register configuration.

#l6470
1 REPLY 1
Enrico Poli
ST Employee
Posted on November 18, 2015 at 16:14

Hi,

it looks like a error accumulation issue.

What is exactly your target application?

Regsrds

Enrico